HELP! New Goat Disbudding Question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jay13, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok, I am getting a new buck kid here soon and he hasn't been disbudded yet. Is it too late? The buds are about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch long. Any ideas? The little guy is 5 weeks old now and we have field fences which means I am worried about him getting his head stuck not to mention having a big goat with horns can be very dangerous! Has anyone had any luck in dehorning/disbudding at this stage?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its going to be difficult but not impossible. I would recommend you try and get some pain killer available for him like Banamine

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I have been reading on here that a lot of people use bands.... would that perhaps be the more effective option in combination with a disbudding iron after they fall off? Would I have to wait for the horns to grow longer? We aren't picking him up right away as he is not quite weaned.... but the owner is close so its possible that I could order a disbudding iron and go over and do it while he still has his momma to comfort him.... I just dont know what direction to go. Where would I get Banamine? From a Vet? Can I use any other pain killer? I have seen here that some people give kids childrens motrin/tylenol... would that work? This is all very last minute as the goat I was supposed to get had an unfortunate run in with a neighbor dog :(

Also, if I do band him, what do I use? How? I found a lot of info on disbudding not so much on banding. Thanks.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Is it possible you could get an experienced vet to do this for you? It seems kind of late to be doing this for the first time. I had a buck that had to be redone, and he was younger than this and he had to be put under to be done by my vet. He wasn't willing to do it without anesthesia. He's a dairy goat person and so he does a lot of his own disbudding as well as a lot of other people's as well.

Jan

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for your first time I wouldnt suggest it

yes you can band the horns but they would need to be longer and by then it will be summer which is a bad time for banding due to flies. So you will want to wait till next winter.

or you can do as lissablack suggested and get a vet to do it

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I guess I will have to call my mobile vet and see if they are equipped/how much they charge. Was going to have him out to U/S our girls anyway. Good point on the heat and flies, hadn't thought about that. The current owner said he meant to get around to it but never had the time...grrrrr. Sad part is he is growing his herd too fast, jumped in both feet without looking. ( I Know seems like that is what I am doing with this buck, but I promise I tried to do it smart) I have been reading up on goats now for about 7 years in preparation for getting our girls last year. He says that the little guy is munching hay and eating grain and that his momma is starting to butt him away not letting him nurse... does this mean that he is about ready to be weaned? Or just that the process is starting and needs to continue a while longer? I just wish that I had more time!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats normal for mom to do that as they age -- but no he isnt old enough to be weaned yet. Mom is still letting him nurse, you just will rarely see it happen

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Thank you SO much again for all your help! You all have been a great resource for the answers to all those questions the books just don't address.... come to think of it, I think I might re-read the books I own as a refresher! We are going to go meet the little guy tomorrow and hopefully I will get some pictures of him to post. At 5 weeks old, how often would I have to bottle feed if we went that direction? (hubby adamantly against it, but I'm open to it as long as he doesn't ahve to live inside with us...lol)

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont recommend you bring home a 5 week old and try to get it on a bottle. I havent had luck with it - honestly I am dead against someone doing so if they ask me personally. It is not worth the kids life if he decides he will NOT take that bottle and the stress makes him sick. Been there done that and I have a live miracle goat but it doesnt always work out that way

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Good to have an answer before the question even comes up, thanks :) I guess he was on the bottle for a week after he was born and somehow they got him back on the momma. I don't want to take any chances though, as you say, not worth it! I will definitely post pics though when I get them :)

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Depends on the breed of goat. If he is a nigerian i have seen it done. If hes an alpine i would never consider disbudding after more then five days old.
    beth

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    ok, turns out there is more horn there than the guy realized. The little guy is a nubian and the horns are about a full inch i would say after you feel down to the skin. Considering that he has a good 3 weeks to go before he is ready to come home, I think we will have to live with horns this year. How long to the horns have to be for the banding to work? If I have to leave them long, I had the idea that I could put up some chicken wire that I have in the barn around the inside of the fence to keep him from sticking his head through and getting stuck. Do you all think that would work?