The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**UPDATE: Steve and I made the decision to let Julio cross the rainbow bridge. We both felt with only a 20% chance of surviving a blood transfusion, it would be best. I wanted to thank y’all so much for all the information y’all shared, and all the kind words. ❤

my husband and I bought our very first goats almost two months ago. Our boy Julio had some diarrhea when we first got him but after a few days it cleared up. Was told it could of been due to stress. He also had to be treaded for pink eye and lice. Both cleared up. We took him to the vet Dec 27th because he was getting a raspy cough. He had a respiratory infection and we also found out he had worms and a parasite. The vet said he was vey thin, but that it was from the worms and parasites. Treated him for that, took him back for a recheck and he was cleared, but had lost another pound. He is eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing. We noticed he was really weak but the vet said that was normal and he would get strong once he started feeling better. Saturday I found him laying on the ground by the goat house. I believe he was trying to go in and fell off the ramp. Called the vet again, told us again it was because he was weak. Yesterday my husband took him back to the vet. She drew blood and told my husband his blood work is awful and his albumin is not even registering and everything else was way below the low levels. She said she was surprised (due to his blood work) that he has made it this far. She said the only other thing to do is a blood transfusion and it may take three or four, but because of how sick he is she didn’t even know if they would work, and we may need to put him down. I’m so at a loss, and heartbroken. I’ve been up all night trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this. If anyone here has any advise please share. Thank you!
Goggles Jaw Vision care Beard Sunglasses

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Hi and welcome to TGS I wish it were under better circumstances.
I’m so sorry your going through this, I’ve not gone through this but maybe you can tell us a few things.
What breed is Julio?
How old is he and how old was he when you brought him home?
Did he get colostrum from his dam?
What are you feeding him?
What were the treatments he received for his parasites and respiratory infection?
What are you treating him with now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m so sorry your going through this, I’ve not gone through this but maybe you can tell us a few things.
What breed is Julio?
What were the treatments he received for his parasites and respiratory infection?
What breed is Julio?
Thank you. He is a 14 week old Nigerian Dwarf, he was 8 weeks old when we got him. My understanding is he was weaned from mom. We started feeding the same feed he was getting before we got him. (I’ll find out the name) but we bought actually goat feed a couple of weeks ago. We also purchased the same hay hay he was getting. He got an antibiotic shot for the respiratory infection, dewormer and another antibiotic for the parasites. Other than the raspy cough, that seem to come on quickly he seemed very healthy he did have pink eye and we treated him for lice. When we brought him in for the cough I asked if he could be anemic due to the lice she checked him and said he did not have an infestation and that she didn’t believe that he was anemic because the color in his eyes looked good. She just felt that the respiratory infection, worms and parasite were causing him to lose weight and that it would just take time for him to get better. We took him back 10 days later to be checked and he was clear of worms and parasites, his cough was gone but I told her he still seemed very weak and he had lost a pound, she said that was still due to the parasite that just keep feeding him and as long as he was eating, drinking and didn’t have diarrhea or a fever he should pull through. After a few days he still seemed like he wasn’t getting better so my husband called the vet again, he told him to give him vitamin B 12 and power punch so we’ve been doing that which seemed to help a little bit. But this Saturday when I went out to check on them I didn’t see Julio so I thought maybe he went into the goat house when I walked up to the goat house he was laying on the side of the ramp which look like he fell he was breathing but non-responsive I picked him up called my husband and had him call the vet, in the meantime he started to stand and he took a drink of water and went over to his hay. The vet said keep an eye on him but he thought we were doing everything that we really could do so we continue doing that until yesterday I made my husband take him back to the vet just to get check out again. That is when she said his bloodwork was awful and she was surprised he hadn’t passed yet. 😔

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to hear about your boy Julio. Goats are wonderful but can be heartbreaking too and sometimes weird things happen but this is weird since he was under the care of a vet. Prayers and good wishes for you and the little guy.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
@happybleats @ksalvagno @Jessica84 @toth boer goats

Are you giving him the inject vit b? Oral doesn’t work well on goats. I’m not a big power punch fan because it burns the throat. I’d give him some dyne to boost calories, and some redcell (1cc per 10lbs)
Do you know how to do a FAMACHA check? I’m wondering if he is anemic ...
What loose minerals are you giving him? Free choice? what type of hay?
Here’s a link on how to do FAMACHA properly
heres a chart

Font Magenta Number Screenshot Parallel

·
Lamancha Breeder
706 Posts
Shame on whoever sold you a sick kid. I would put him back on a milk bottle, to see if that would help him put some weight back on. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@happybleats @ksalvagno @Jessica84 @toth boer goats

Are you giving him the inject vit b? Oral doesn’t work well on goats. I’m not a big power punch fan because it burns the throat. I’d give him some dyne to boost calories, and some redcell (1cc per 10lbs)
Do you know how to do a FAMACHA check? I’m wondering if he is anemic ...
What loose minerals are you giving him? Free choice? what type of hay?
Here’s a link on how to do FAMACHA properly
heres a chart

View attachment 219682
Yes injections. My husband read that about power punch last night. He will not be getting that anymore. My husband is on the phone with the vet from UGA now. The vet said he wasn’t anemic or dehydrated. He is getting free choice loose minerals but I’m not sure what the name is. I will check. What is the best kind? Hay I will check also. I’m sorry I don’t know more info. My husband takes care of all that. My husband is a disabled vet and we bought our babies to help him stay busy :)
Steve just got off the phone with the vet from UGA she said we could do a blood transfusion, but with his albumin levels not even registering she didn’t think it would help him much and he would only have a 20% of surviving. Being a first time goat owner, this is truly breaking my heart.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Geez, I’m so sorry, that’s heartbreaking but if he’s willing to fight, you’d be surprised what a goat can come back from. The best thing is ask yourself if you’re willing to try or just let him go. Only you and your husband can make that call. Do you have other goats besides the doeling? If not, she’ll need a friend if he doesn’t make it. I’d look for a different breeder though. Again, I’m so sorry! Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
32,808 Posts
Awe..im sorry Julio is not doing well. Coccidia in goats does a ton of damage making it hard for nutrients to be absorbed. Weakness could be from slow starvation. Giving him high calorie foods may help. The Dyn mention is popular. Also making smoothies with dark green veggies, carrot, celery, garlic and ginger. I would also find some one who has colostrum and add 1/2 oz to the smoothy. Can be fresh or frozen, not the powder replacer. Colostrum has shown to heal a leaky gut and it's high nutrients can help him bounce back. Keep him eating hay, a few oak leaves and other safe browse. Daily goat specific probiotics and dark beer can boost his flora in his rumen.
Keep an eye on his temp. 101.5 to 1o3.5 is normal range.

Another herbal blend i use here is Tumny Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
20 to 30 cc water
Blend smooth with a garlic clove and drench slowly. 2x a day
Can split in 2 doses and give 4 times a day
Be sure to space drenched apart so he's not getting too much at once.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
15,234 Posts
I’m so sorry your going threw this :( I agree if he is wanting to fight, fight with him. You will know when he is done. I also agree with the high calories and dyne. Dyne is very high in calories, and energy, and it’s liquid so easy to get down him if he is not wanting to consume it. Any feed store and tractor supply should have it. There is one labeled for livestock and one for dogs, it is the SAME things so if they only have one or the other that will be fine. Vitamin B is a good one too, it should make him want to eat. I have also heard wonderful things about colostrum!
But I just want to chime in and say in situations like this we tend to want to slam them with everything good. As hard as it’s going to be not to, especially with him such in the pits just go slow and steady on giving him this stuff. Except for the vitamin B, you can’t really over do that ;)
I’m rooting for you guys and I hope he pulls threw for you and your husband

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
3,908 Posts
Very sorry. Ive been through this exact situation and it didn't end well. I don't see how he could not be anemic. I'd definitely keep up the B Injections. Is he eating? Drinking? They might not have sold you a sick kid knowing it, but they definitely did not take well care of him, proof is in the pudding.

·
Registered
722 Posts
How good has the goat been about eating the grain and hay? Did he mull it around in his mouth like he wasn’t sure how to chew it? It’s possible he wasn’t really transitioned from milk to hay and grain when you got him. I’m sorry things don’t look good from your little guy. The vets may also have not given the proper medications/dewormers or correct dosages. You certainly have tried all the right things seeking help. Goats are very sweet animals and quickly steal your heart. I’ve found they are excellent companions. It’s hard when you can’t get the same answers and vet care like dogs and cats. Sometimes there is just no answer for why the goat is deteriorating. I hope the other goat remains healthy!

·
Super Moderator
32,808 Posts
Awe..im so sorry.. some times the hardest thing to do is the best thing to do. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm so sorry that you had to suffer the heartbreak so soon that sometimes comes with goats. He was beautiful. I agree with others shame on whoever sold you a kid that was not well. Please don't give up on goats because you couldn't save him. You did the best you could and more than many. You even reached out for help. Unfortunately, sometimes no matter what we do we lose some of them.
May you remember him fondly for the joy he gave, and may the lessons learned serve you well. That's the best Legacy for him early in my goat ownership I had a buck named Echo. Because of him I watch all my bucks at least once a week to see how they are peeing, and I'm careful with my calcium and phosphorus ratios. If you learn from experience it has a positive besides the joy he gave you. 🌈

1 - 18 of 18 Posts