The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so yesterday I got a milking momma who kidded 8 weeks ago. She is used to being on the stand and being hand milked by her previous owner. I brought her home and she didn’t even make a sound in the car the whole 1 hour drive. We got to the house and at 4 went out to try to get her on the stand. She wouldn’t let me get close enough to grab her. I put my other momma goat who isn’t milking on the stand gave her grain and the new goat watched. When I put momma goat away and went to the new one same thing. She just won’t let me get close enough to grab her collar or touch her. I brought a halter rope out and she stays way far away from me. I’m worried because this morning I couldn’t milk her either and her udders are so full and she looks so uncomfortable!
mother details: she kidded 2
She is a first time mom
What do I do to help her?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Welcome to TGS, oh dear, that’s a tough issue but not impossible. I’m assuming you didn’t bring home her kids too. So she’s missing them and in a new home.
It’s going to take time to earn her trust, but in the interim you must milk her out for her own comfort and health. Keeping her in a quiet stall or small area and sitting and talking with her will help, but you have to just go for it now. She needs milked.
I suggest very gently cornering her enough to grab hold and just standing there holding her collar, letting her know you’re going to go at a easy slow pace. Then offer her a treat as a reward once she’s still. The next step is taking her to the stand and letting her sniff and see the grain, once she’s interested put her in the headlock and let her nibble as you gently pet and stroke her working your way to her udder.
keep talking to her in a sing song soothing voice keeping it low and slow. Finish milking and give her treats. Once she’s calmed down lead her back to her quiet place.
Spend time sitting and reading to her, get her used to you being there, she’ll come around.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,843 Posts
Yes get a hold of her and once you do, either stall her, or halter her and let her drag a lead so you can step on it. Provided she can't catch it on things. Give her treats often when you get her and love on her and get her used to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts