The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to us she is about 3 yrs maybe 4
She kidded twin boys 2 nights ago seemed fine yesterday. This morning one udder was so swollen and tight looked like a balloon avout to explode. Was really hard to get milk started in that teet like it was stopped up. Hubby got small milking machine out we ordered and got it down to try. We finally got one quart out of that one teet and it brought it down about 2\3 original swelling.

One kid seems wobbly maybe week. Will try to use some of that milk to feed it when I get home.

Should add this goat had one teet that looked stretched longer than the other when we boufht her enough to be noticeable but I would guess maybe only one inch longer than the other.

Help. I am afraid I will have to do this mpre than once not a happy thought. Mom is a full blood nubian.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
You will have to milk her out at least once a day. That's the thing with dairy goats, they produce more milk than their kids need in the beginning.
If you milk at least once a day it won't be so hard to milk her because she won't get so bagged up.
The blockage was most likely the teat plug they make when they are pregnant, to prevent bad bacteria from entering the teats. That could also have contributed to why the kids couldn't nurse off that side, that and its hard for kids to nurse off of teats that are too large for their mouth.

I would try to encourage the stronger one to nurse off the side with the larger teat, amd get the smaller one to nurse off the smaller side after you get him some milk.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would just try to relieve the pressure a few times a day for now. Take out half the milk or whatever you feel is the right amount. The doe usually holds some back for the kids.

It's normal that there is a plug in there at first. Just gently work the teat until you can get it out.

Are the kids up and drinking from her? They may need some assistance with it at first.

It's not real unusual for the teats to be a little different in size.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
She may have mastitis or congested udder.
Is her udder hot, lumpy, have blood, strings, white chucks, anything odd looking about her milk? If so, treat for mastitis, if you don't know what to do, have a vet show you and start treatment. If it is mastitis, treatment is needed ASAP.

The weak kid: has the baby nursed? Feel the tummy, full or empty.
Get a temp on the baby, if it is sub, bring the temp up to 100 degree's minimum, then you can give milk. 101.5 to 103.5 is normal range.

You will have to monitor her udder and milk it once or twice a day or as needed, if she doesn't have mastitis.
If she does have mastitis, milking her totally out, 2 x a day plus infusing today is required or she will lose her udder, the side infected.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I bet it's just she made way too much milk for the kids to handle and is overly full. You need to milk her at least once a day (I have to milk mine twice a day until the kids can take care of it on their own at about 1 month old). If you don't get the milk out of there, she will dry up or get mastitis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone. I have concluded the goat does not have mastitis as I had feared and as my feed store manager suggested. The milk is clear looks good and has no funny smell. I have milked her out twice. I can never get the teat down to a normal size however. Will that just not happen for a while?. I am trying to milk her out completely. But I never get that down to a normal size. The babies are from a Boer goat. Therefore they are much smaller than my full blood Nubian babies. Is this the wrong thing to breed to?. Will I always have trouble with babies too small to milk mother out by breeding them to meet goats? And will I have to go through this every time this doe kids? Thank you.

·
14,615 Posts
The breeding was just fine, in fact perfect. Don't worry about the teat unless she is a show goat. It's the udder; watch & feel for hardness and/or heat.
The first few days kids don't take enough for the high production of a Nubian.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you everyone

This is truly a valuable website with good helpful people. I so appreciate the feedback.

OK! I am still a new and nervous goat keeper.but I will try to relax.a.little.more now.

·
Super Moderator
58,845 Posts
You may have a blown teat if it is constantly large. Can you post a picture? There is nothing you can do about a blown teat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Help! vet wants to amputate udder

Per advice here we have milled this goat out daily to best of our ability. Second morning after kidding twins one udder swelled like big balloon. Not bag...the udder. We got her milked out though never to where it looked normal. Today we cannot get a drop out of her on that side. Sunday of course and cant get just any vet. Got one not a lot of confidence in him and just based on what I described on the phone he wants to amputate that breast for $300-400. There has never been any blood, lumps or curdling in the milk we did get out of her or any foul smell. I am hesitant to let him do this for many reasons. I cant post pics but if someone has some advice I could send pic from my phone and would be so greatful for the help. # is 972-642-3052. Hope I am not breaking any rules. Ahe is our best doe and I am desperate. Thanks

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
That's very extreme! Have ya'll tried mastitis treatments first? Amputating the udder is a last resort to save the doe if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Please add this to your previous post instead of starting a new one - there may be some background there that will help folks give better advice than starting over with advice that may have been given before.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Ok, so the only way they can nurse from that side, is if it gets completely milked out, and the kids are set on it multiple times a day and keep nursing from it until they learn to use that side.
I have a boer doe with both teats like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you for posting those pictures for me. The vet 1i don't especially trust but only one that can see her as early as Monday wants to amputate that udder just based on what I described to him on the phone. What would you guys do in my shoes. Would cost $300-400. Thank you.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
There is no need to amputate it... My does kids don't have a problem nursing from her after they get the hang of it. Both of her teats are huge like that.
Just milk out most of what's in that side, and hold them on the teat while they nurse from it. Do that several times a day and they will figure it out.
When that side is bagged up, the teat gets too firm and large for their mouths, and they can't nurse easily from it. So that's why that side needs milked before they can learn to nurse from it.

·
I'm watching you
22,266 Posts
I had one with an even worse udder. She was a challenge to milk and I eventually gave her (without her papers) to someone who desperately needed milk for her children and had a large flat yard for her to live in. She is still doing quite well and still milking for this gal.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I would just keep milking it out. Hot packs, lots of massage, peppermint essential oil mixed with a soothing salve is a good massage medium. Vit C to help with swelling. Mastitis treatment if you think she does have mastitis.

Exactly what is swollen and hot? The udder is often referred to as the bag. Is it the udder/bag or the teats, or both?

They only amputate if the animal has "black bag" which is when they develop gangrene and the living tissue died. The udder will be cold and discolored. There is no mistaking dead flesh.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I would just keep milking it out. Hot packs, lots of massage, peppermint essential oil mixed with a soothing salve is a good massage medium. Vit C to help with swelling. Mastitis treatment if you think she does have mastitis.

They only amputate if the animal has "black bag" which is when they develop gangrene and the living tissue died. The udder will be cold and discolored. There is no mistaking dead flesh.

I had a doe with 2 teats like that. Pain to milk and she was a huge producer. I had to milk er several times a day until her initial rush of milk/colostrum was done and her kids could handle it on their own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need to bring you all up to date. All week I have been milking her and although nof easy got over on quart to about 1/2 to 3/4 quart milk out of that bad udder but this morning we tried, tried and tried some more and cojld not.get one drop out of her...not a drop which is why ahe looks so very very bad again although even milking her we could never get it to a normal size.

I tried to squirt some Today up udder first day but don't believe I ever really got any in the teat. We tried using the Fashe MiFarm mlkier machine on her and it worked until yesterday evening when switch went bad. We raced thru several auto supply places to replace that battery-operated pump with a break-bleed hand pump. It worked late last night getting aome of.the milk outa her but this morning nothing...nada...Tried to hand milk after machine failed. Not a drop so can't relieve swelling now. Gave hef pene illin shot fist day of.swelling per.advice of.feedstore man but decided it was not.mastitis so quit w/penecillin. Howver last noght got.worried and gave her another 6 cc pen and will again tonight. But just can't get a drop of milk out. Yes udder hot to tpuch but all previous milk was free of blood curdles or lumps/strings and no bad smell.

Would you all still not allow surgery. What would you do sinceshe won't milk out?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts