The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two African Alpine goats. They are about 5 months old. When I got both of them one was really hyper and the other was Shy of people. The shy one is doing fine my hyper one is the issue. He has now practically stopped eating ( was able to eat the other one under the table), has diarrhea, will not stand or walk, wont drink water. I called the lady I bought them from she says to get the diarrhea stopped that it alone could kill him. She recommended a electrolyte solution. I used that solution and he is more responsive however he will not walk, stand eat, or drink ( unless it is the solution) still. Any ideas????

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
What is his temp?

I would take a fecal sample in to a vet and have them test it. Make sure they test for coccidia. My bet would be on coccidia or some other parasite.

He probably needs to be wormed but you need to know what parasite you are dealing with before you treat since different dewormers take care of different worms.

I would get some electrolytes to give him and also B Complex and Probios. But he needs that fecal done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temp?

How do I take his temp?
I will try to get his fecal into a vet and see what comes back. Do you think it could be deer worm I was reading they are an issue in areas with lots of falling leaves and my whole place has falling leaves on it.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
what area are you in?

it's really hard to guess what parasites they would have without the fecal. best to get that poop down to the vet asap and get it looked at.

temp should be taken rectally. normal temp on a goat is between 101 and 103.5 F

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
You have to have white tail deer in your area to have Meningeal Worm.

But your problem sounds more like results of a parasite problem with dehydration. The fecal is very important. If your goat is weak and not drinking, you are now in dire straights and I would probably try and get the goat in to a vet. He may need IV fluids to help with the dehydration.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I too agree with the others. Fecal test will let you know, what to treat for, as soon as possible.

How is his gum color, white, pale pink or dark pink? He may be anemic, if he has bad worms or cocci. If the gums are pale or white, he needs along with treatment, iron to rebuild his blood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts