HELP. New to goats, but may need to give up

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Rlarsen, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    Hello, first post. I bought 5 ND about a month ago, two mamma does in milk and 3 kids. Gorgeous, all of them. High quality stock.
    I feel like i have the mechanics worked out. But my milk goat - who is a lap goat lol - is utterly miserable.
    They come from a busy farm. Used to ppl 24/7 i think. Lots more goats. My girl is losing weight, stands at the gate all day crying. We sit with her and she accepts attention ... but within a few minutes is back crying at the gate again. Watching for ppl who arent there.
    The other doe has never been milked. And im not milking my milk doe bc shes lost weight.
    is the humane thing to work out a return with the breeder? I dont even care about the money. Im so damn sad i hate even going out back now.

2. Canadian Goat Mom

Canadian Goat Mom Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    She is needing time to adjust. I think she is just stressing a bit. Make different feeding stations in 3 different places. Possibly getting pushed from feed?

3. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I agree with Canadian Goat Mom you should give her time to adjust and see how it goes. Also if she is part of a herd separating herself might be a sign of an illness. Is she up to date on her vaccinations.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did they wean her kids when they sold her to you? (Aka: were her kids left behind at the breeders?)

Goataddict, MadHouse, Sfgwife and 2 others like this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You should milk her if she is accustomed to daily or twice daily milking, routine is better. And I assume she will eat on the milk stand? Her udder may be uncomfortable if you have quit milking.

6. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    Shes t
    shes the alpha, so she dominates at the food.
    i have 3 stations in the stall, bc the kids are starting to nibble

7. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    Yes they are all up to date. She LOOKS amazing - shiny, just not as chubby in the rumen. Her cousin is a chunker. Cuz has adjusted without batting an eye, but shes a bit more skittish (her baseline per breeder)

MadHouse and Goataddict like this.
  8. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    So I guess we can eliminate sickness.
    I guess she is just adjusting.

Rlarsen likes this.
  9. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    The kids are here; she has a doe and her cousin has 2 wethers. Kids are suckling and nibbling and look great. she had rejected a buckling so he didnt come along.

10. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    i hope so! Otoh, i could maybe fix worms easier. Shes a very loving girl, loves to be scritched and handled. My hub thinks expanding the turnout to a more interesting area of underbrush might perk her up and distract her. (?) maybe?

Goataddict and MadHouse like this.
  11. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    Yes shes excellent on the stand and gets free goodies. I panicked and did a mastitis test right away; been checking on it every day. Shes def carrying less milk, but her doe is getting plenty.
    Should i put her in the stand to keep up the routine even if i just take a bit?

12. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    I knew everyone here would know what to say.
    Well. I think she needs time i guess
    Im new to goats and had NO idea they could be so attached and get homesick!!!!

Canadian Goat Mom and MadHouse like this.
  13. Rlarsen

Rlarsen Member

Jun 12, 2020
    NY
    Here they are

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.
  14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    If she is loosing weight, you will need to up her protien content. A grain like calf manna will do the trick

Rlarsen, MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  15. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    They're very pretty and I'm sure she'll adjust eventually. It's very important to give her plenty of attention and make her feel loved in her new home. However, it's also important not to allow her to train you. In other words, don't rush out and comfort/pet/feed her every time she starts to cry. You'll have to harden your heart and ignore her much of the time so she doesn't become terribly noisy and spoiled even after she adjusts. I also agree with keeping the milk stand routine so she has something familiar to look forward to at your home. Good luck!

16. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Beautiful goats

Rlarsen likes this.
  17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m really not seeing a situation where you should give up - at all! I would get a fecal test on all of them though!!

18. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    All great advice here. Let me add something I have noticed. I am not a big rancher like some of these ladies and men. I have 2 for pets, I see them every day, handle them every day. When I dont, or it rains when they dont get "Goat time" they are dissheveled. Think of it as a upset dog. She probably just needs the time to get used to the new surroundings. I spoil mine with fruits and treats, sounds like you do too. I would sit out there with her, and just let her get the Goat Respect for you. When she does that, shes yours like a dog lol. Clyde is that way for me.

19. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Same with me.

Rlarsen likes this.