The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two wethers they are both almost 4 months old. My question is should I be feeding them separate and what kind of supplements should I be using in the early stages. I am feeding moormans amino gain and I am adding #1 minerals in their feed and 4 oz a day of fast fuel. What should I be adding or taking away? Suggestions please

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Hello there! For wethers, I suggest alfalfa mix hay, or plain hay with 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets daily. A wether's diet should be simple, and should have at least twice as much calcium as phosphorus. Loose minerals are great, and plenty of water. That's what we do here. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Are these show wethers for meat shows?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
At four months old you should be focused on growing them. How big are they now? Any pics you'd be willing to share?

Its hard to help too much with feeding through a computer since I can't see the goats, don't know how theyre growing, what lines they have or anything like that. For me, I have to see them and then decide. All mine are fed a little different. Also, when are your shows? Any shows you'd really, really like to win more than others? Basically, what is your goal lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is another pic.

image-2004351441.jpg

They both are about 40lbs too. We feed moormans line. And our shows don't start until January. I don't know if I should be focusing on feeding individual or leaving food out all day. They are together right now and I am feeding separately. I am not sure at what am I trying to achieve. I am use to show does so these little guys are different.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
You should just be growing right now. Just feed, some hay and minerals. Dont worry about extra supplements until a couple months away from the show. Then you'll need to eexercise them and give a finishing supplement as long as no one gets over conditioned. I'd put feed out a couple times a day and be sure to watch that one isn't being a pig. If that happens start seperating them. I'd put a couple pounds per goat out each time and see what they eat

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have been showing wethers through FFA for 4 years and continue to help students. I always fed mine a 16% protein feed. 2lbs a day each. They really need to eat separate if you will be feeding supplements. I also started out with the supplement champion drive by high octane which is a protein. Started at 2oz and day and got up to 12-16oz a day over a 3 month period. Also a good thing to do is drench with Dyne, 20cc once a day which is a fatty supplement. But with all this feed and supplements you HAVE to exercise. I trained mine to jog backwards on a treadmill which works the muscles extremely well. It takes a while to teach them but be patient. Also I got a dog harness and made them pull I tire to work the front muscles. This is just my feed/exercise plan. Also handful of hay once a day and alfalfa every 3 days. Hope it helps:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts