Help Newbie Please-Nubian kid 7weeks old Sick?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by willwriteforgoats, Jun 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. willwriteforgoats

willwriteforgoats New Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Normally kid is bouncing around the pasture and stays close to mama and other 2 goats. This morning is just lays in the sun far away from the others. Only time she voluntarily got up was to drink under the shade tree but immediately returned to a sunny spot away from the herd and lays down. It is in the 80s today. My human mother experience makes me think she may have a fever. Is there anything I should or can do?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

First get a temp and get her out of the sun. What age?

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    baby is 7 weeks per title Karen :)

also after temp, check lower lid color and tummy noises..any grinding of teeth?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, get a temp, but make sure he is out of the sun for a while before taking and be able to cool down.
    It will be a false reading if you just take it when he is in the sun or has been there for a while.

If the temp is OK, treat his rumen with probiotics and fortified vit B complex shots SQ daily for 3 to 4 days.
    If high start antibiotics.

Has the goat been wormed or treated for cocci? Getting a fecal may be wise.

Is he peeing/pooping OK?

Is he bloated?

Stop grain until he is better.

5. willwriteforgoats

Jun 10, 2017
    yes had shots. Havent seen peeing or pooping but I would say no since she isn't moving much at all. She is very skiddist has been since born. What is Thanks for all suggestions. I will try it all

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a temp so we know where the goat is at and how to treat.

Not going too the bathroom at all isn't good.
    Maybe constipated, I would try a warm water enema a few times in one session and see if you can dislodge it.
    Not going pee she may be dehydrated. Giving electrolytes may help.

The kid is at the right age for worms and cocci. Can you get a fecal for both?

How are the inner lower eyelid coloring? Is she anemic?

We need more info so we can further help.

7. willwriteforgoats

Jun 10, 2017
    Kid seems to be better

Eye lids looked fine. Pinned Mama and kid up in smaller area remainder of yesterday afternoon to keep her in the shade and away from grain. Kid seemed back to normal today. When we released her and Mama back with the other goats, Kid no longer maintaining distance or napping only in the sun lite areas of the pasture. Thank you so much assisting this over worrisome goat owner. I didn't even know what to look for.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  9. willwriteforgoats

Jun 10, 2017
    Better but not well yet. Still no appetite and lethargic Friend/Vet stopped by says it is an infection from the de-horning. Gave penicillin shot Will return tomorrow evening. Meantime giving her electrolytes

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    if he didint get a tetanus antitoxin shot for disbudding, or its been more then 10 days, I would give one ASAP. also be sure to give pen 2x daily unless its pen 48 then once a day...1 cc per 20# sub Q. I would also give a shot of B complex for a few days 1 cc per 25# sub q

best wishes

11. willwriteforgoats

Jun 10, 2017
    tetanus antitoxin shot was given at the time of debudding Will go get the B complex. Spent an hour last night holding baby and feeding electrolytes by syringe. Thank you so much for all of the advise. My family raised cattle when I was young but goats are a new experience for me.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can make a very small amount of alfalfa pellet slurry(water/pellets) blended up in a blender and syringe feed it (no needle) very slow. Just a little bit every few hours. Have a big enough syringe so the alfalfa pellet slurry goes easily through it. Even a new turkey baster. A 1/4 cup goes a very long way, with the water added, so with a young kid, start out with less. Make a new batch each time.

The kid needs some nourishment or will get weaker. Unless the kid hasn't been started on creep feed and hay?
    No grain while ill.

If the kid has started on hay ect the rumen will be kicked on, so if the goat eats nothing it shuts down the rumen and that is not good.

I agree with the others as well.