help- newborn lamb!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by babe817, Jul 7, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    hi, my sheep gave birth to a little lamb.. he is tiny... he is up walking.. but is shivering and he had no teeth yet...?? i know with goats if the dont have teeth they are prem.
    this little guy seems to have no intrest to feed... all my newborn goats have been guts.. sucked on my finger arm whatever they could get close to.. the mother is being protective... and keeps licking him..
    any ideas??

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a premie. Can you give him some BoSe or selenium e gel? that will boost his sucking reflex. I had a premie this year and I had to syringe feed her through the night till she was able to nurse the next morning.

He needs colostrum in the first 12 hours to have a good chance at life.

Thats great the mom is mothering him, but she is going ot need help if he doesn't learn to suck on his own.

You may even have to tube feed him the colostrum

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like he is very cold. Try rubbing him with a towel and dry him off completely. Do you have any goat colostrum or can you milk mom at all?

How long ago was he born?

If you want I can PM you my phone number - I have American Blackbelly sheep.

Allison

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    How's your lamb doing? Hope everythings OK.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep Di, I was wondering the same thing? Have you give the little one some Nutra Drench? That gets in the blood stream in minutes. Have you tried to tickle the tail head on the baby? That help them start sucking.

Let us know how the baby is doing.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope you were able to get him going with nursing...is the ewe tame enough that you can possibly get her milked to get it into him if he hasn't started on his own?

7. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    i all. after about 2 hours he started feeding... yay. poor little guy is the smallest thing. i will take a pic later for yous.
    Im in australia.. btw. thanks to all of you.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so glad that the lamb is doing better - you had us all worried to death. :wink:

Take care and we would LOVE pics!