The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!! We have a newborn baby goat that is just 18 hours old and she wont eat. I think that its hypoglycemia but im not sure what to do. Her mother abandoned her so we have to bottle feed her but she refuses to eat. She is responsive still but her mouth is cold, she keep on arching her back and her eyes are somewhat glazed. she has a rapid heart beat/pulse but her movements are limited and stiff and she wont stop trembling. i dont even know if she is gonna be able to make it through the nigh. really worried and have no idea what to do

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,170 Posts
Take her temp rectal. What is it? If she feels cool, put her on a heating pad. She sounds cold. Heat milk to 100° before you attempt to bottle feed her. She needs to be @103° .

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Babies will not eat when cold. You do need to get colostrum in her. Warm her up. Her temp should be between 101.5 and 103.5. The colostrum / milk should be about 101 or it can make her get tummy ache. If she is warm and wont take the bottle you will have to tube feed. Weigh her as well. There is a calculation on how much for her weight. She must be warm.

·
Administrator
85,546 Posts
I agree, get a temp and warm
The baby up to at minimum 101 degrees.
Then try to feed. If you know how to tube feed do so if not and the kid can swallow get a 12 cc syringe(no needle)and very slowly feed at the back corner of the mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts