The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old Boer/kiko cross doe is acting really weird!!I ordered wormer from Jeffers earlier today.. to late..

Her gums are really pale
She is alert (moves her head to listen to noise ect)
Isn't moving fast/doesn't seem to want to move
When she walks she drags her back feet (kinda like when they stretch out there back legs but she is doing it when she walks but not all the time)
Doesn't want to eat

She was 100% normal at 12pm

Because of her gums I want to say wormy ... but idk ):

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes she is on pasture...

Will it kill her before I can treat it ?
Does that sound like what it is ?
How do I treat?

Treatment involves very high dosages of Ivomec Plus or generic equivalent. Ivermectin paste or pour-on are not effective. Ivomec Plus or generic equivalent is recommended because if snails or slugs are present, so may also be liver flukes, and Ivomec Plus will handle both conditions at the same time. Ivomec Plus should be given at a rate of 1 cc per 25 pounds bodyweight for at least seven days, followed by a double-the-cattle dosage of fenbendazole (Safeguard/ Panacur) for five days. (Jeffers carries both dewormers.)

Any one ever used this treatment method ?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I agree with Stacy, the ivomec will take care of any worm issues as well....I would also add Thiamine as part of her treatment or Fortified B complex..
pale eye lids and or gum is anemia...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html
6 cc per 100# red cell, I double the dose day one then single dose for week then once a week until color returns
Vit B 12 as a support vitamine and high protien grain, alfalfa and green leaves to help her rebuild red blood cells

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Safeguard (fenbendazole) needs to be given at 1cc per 7lbs and I would suggest getting the liquid so you can dose that properly. I would also be giving the Safeguard at the same time because if you are seeing symptoms, M worm is in the spine and has crossed the blood brain barrier which Ivomec doesn't cross.

M Worm has a 60 day incubation, so she would have contracted M worm 60 days ago. M worm usually doesn't go from totally normal to dragging back feet but I'm sure it can happen. It usually starts with weak back legs that they may stumble or kind of lose their balance when jumping on things.

I would also check her over carefully for ticks. Ticks can give them a quick paralysis.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is not doing it all the time, only ever 10-15 steps or so.. She doesn't have ticks I checked her :)

I am now really confused on how to treat, I am taking her to the vet in the morning..

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got home from the vet.. She ate some hay last night and a little bit of grain, she had stopped with the leg dragging by this morning, maybe it was just her stretching.. He checked her gave me wormer for every one, by the time we got home (she rode in the AC truck) she was more active and tried to pick a fight with our dog, she really perked up when the other girls started carrying on.. Gave her wormer along with every one else.. hopefully she is starting back uphill :)...Thank you very much every one! I just got so scared last night, this is all so much harder then what I remember it used to be,

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the vet told me to give her panacur 3 days in a row for 100 pounds( she is probably only 30) this would be the third day she had it.. and she is still really pale and still not back to her normal self should I worm her more ?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I would have a fecal done to see if the worm issue is taken care of, you dont want to over worm have a fecal done to be sure what is neded next....for now, work on the anemia..red cell and Vit B 12 will help her rebuild her red blood cell count..along with high protien grain, alflafa and green leaves...B complex will help booste her appitite and energy..
Red cell is 6 cc per 100# ..I would give her 4 the first time then 2 cc daily for a week then once a week until you see good color
B12 is 4 cc per 100#..you can give her 2cc day one the 1 1/2 daily until she has good color
I would give 3 cc b complex daily

1 - 14 of 14 Posts