HELP - Not sure if goats overate grain

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PznIvyFarm, Sep 22, 2010.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Last night i fed goats and locked them up. My daughter asked if she could play with them before bedtime, around 8 pm, and i said sure, don't forget to lock up. This morning I got in barn to find pen door open, the lid off my egglayer pellets, and goats that were not hungry for grain (other than Bailey, who hides from the other two at night bc they are mean to her) It doesn't look like the pellets were disturbed much, if at all. The level looked about the same as last night when i fed chickens, and the scoop was not moved.

The problem is that i suspect they got into their grain. The level looks alot lower than i remember, i put two new bags of feed in the container Saturday morning and it was 2/3 full - now it is half full. They do eat ALOT of grain between the 10 of them, but I didn't recall it being that low when i scooped it last night. But the cover wasn't disturbed, and it would be difficult for them to get it back on (it's an old water softener container, and the top doesn't just drop on, you have to wiggle it a bit to get it on tightly.) I am wondering if i imagined how high the grain level was last night - they have been going thru more than usual, and things have been so hectic lately, that i don't really trust my memory 100%

I know if they pig out on grain, there are things you are supposed to do - baking soda i think, but they are not acting like they are distressed, i fed them all about 12 Tums, and refilled their baking soda container with fresh. I am reluctant to start jamming baking soda pellets down their throat if they didn't overeat their grain. I am almost wondering if they ate some of the chicken pellets, which tend to swell a bit with liquid, and that filled them up? (it is not medicated feed, i don't have any medicated feed around)

I left a small pan of grain for the babies, who were still eating, and some for Bailey, b/c hers is on a window ledge only she can get up to. I gave them fresh hay and water - is there anything i should watch for, or do today?

eta: They got a CD/T shot from vet in February, and again 4 weeks before due date, so 8-9 weeks ago. Should i give them another? Or get some C/D only?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well since you dont know if they got any grain at all its hard to say what to do exactly BUT if they had gotten into that much grain I would be making them walk and watching for them pooping all day -- expect the poops to be soft and possibly runny.

make sure they keep drinking and if they show discomfort and bloating then start with baking soda balls and massage their stomach.

3. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    thank you. I have been watching them, and so far poops look normal, and they aren't acting 'off' at all, walking around, drinking, being annoyed by kids. I'll keep watching.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... watch them close for a while..... hopefully... they didn't eat to much grain to make them sick...... :hug: :pray:

5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I am tentatively saying i think they are okay. They are moving around, eating hay, not drinking a lot today, but otherwise normal. No bloating, no diarrhea. However, they were NOT happy with me when i went in for the evening feeding and didn't give them any grain. But i decided it wouldn't hurt to play it safe.

6. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Good call! :thumb: I had an incident like that happen before where someone didn't latch the door to the barn and some chickens got in and tipped the top of the grain bucket over. Couldn't tell if any goats got in there or not. It's a scary thing to think about :hug: I'm glad that yours are all looking good!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At this time, I'd say they'll be just fine. Missing a feeding won't hurt them even though they'll act like it will, just add extra hay to the feeders and if they don't have loose poop tomorrow or are acting off you can continue with their normal feeding.

8. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Looks like it was a false alarm (sort of, i KNOW they filled up on something, probably the chicken food) but everyone is happy and healthy today. Thank goodness they've had their CD/T shot, and that i boosted them before the babies. I read a bit about the overeating disease when i first got goats, but yesterday i reread information about it, and realize now how lucky i was. I am going to bungy all the feed bins, and find some way to lock the the goats' feed 'bin' - probably can bolt latches on the sides, the water softener is just made out of that heavy duty plastic.

Thanks for the advice and support yesterday everyone :)

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats...glad everyone is doing ok...... love hearing it.... :thumb: :hug: