The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a junior doe "Faith" that will be 1 yr. old in 2 days & she was accidentally bred (thanks to he buck getting out) near Thanksgiving of last year. I assumed she didn't settle because she had been in heat many times since. Anyway to get to the point, I went out to do the mid day check on my Nigerians & she had blood all over her rear legs. She had a white string like thing hanging out of her vagina about an inch (it was elastic feeling). "Faith" ate well this morning & is acting normal. What is happening? Did or is she having a miscarriage or what is going on? I brought her up to the house to keep a close watch on her since it's raining here right now. I have tried several times to contact the vet with no luck so far.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought at first to, but I have checked the barn/pen I have them in 3 times & found nothing. She doesn't have an udder, but her teats have been more noticeable (larger)the past few days.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Although if she was aborting she would also have lost her ligs (I think)

I just looked at my calender and I think she is most likely kidding, she is due right around now if she was bred around Thanksgiving (before thanksgiving, otherwise she is due more around the 22nd if she was bred on thanksgiving.)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was bred acidentally 11/23 or 11/24 so I think that would be 4/22 or so.

Her ligs feel very mushy to me, but then I haven't been checking hers since I thought she hadn't settled or anything.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
She may still be aborting. With some small young does, or does carrying a large litter they may abort just a short time before kidding because their bodies can not handle pregnancy.. How big is she?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I would definately watch her. My baby that kidded at 9 months of age showed me no sign that she was ready either, she had tiny but noticeable teats and just a very small handful of udder tissue, no real udder at all. Faith does sound to me like she is either ready to deliver or had already aborted. If there is no little bodies to be found then I would say that she's getting ready, also it could be quick or it could take awhile. My little doe did it all on her own and had help from the experienced moms cleaning the baby up. I would continue to watch her and definately be feeling for kid movement which you should feel just in front of her udder.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Watch this goat closley! We had a four yr old that got all bloody for a whole day before she opened up enough so we could get in to see what was going on.She had dead quads. We got out the first two which looked fully formed amd ready to be born. Our vet felt around and said that was it.Come to find out the next day she expeled another dark black decayed kid.My dad went in since I was gone and found another dead decayed kid.Our guess is that the last two dies early in pregnancy and once the live kids got big enough to be born and were moving into position they popped the sack of their dead siblings.Which is why she tryed to expell them the first day and was all bloody.
We ended up losing her.She went septic inside and just never recovered.

Hope this is not the case for you.Sorry if I scared you but its the truth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the information. I am watching her like a hawk, I put her into a pen right outside the back door so I can keep a very close eye on her. She's not very happy about being all by herself, but I think me being able to watch her 24/7 is more important than her being with the other does right now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No change. I felt for kids just in front of where the udder would be & felt nothing, but she was being a wiggly worm. I'm going to go out check her again in a few minutes. "Faith" seems so lonely (maybe I'll bring her in the house while hubby is gone :wink: ), our dog is laying up against the kennel trying to keep her company right now.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Sometimes you need to bump the babies lightly to wake them up a bit to be able to feel them. I put one of my hands in front of their udder and the other farther up on their right side and apply a bit of pressure. It always works for me, ever since Liz explained how. It is so cool!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Chelsey, I'll try that.

No discharge other than some drops of blood every now & then. She just had that white elastic feeling thing when I first noticed the problem. I'm going out now to check , her & will be back on in a few minutes to update you guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was more blood, 2 drops on the concrete & some more on her tail/legs. Faith didn't cooperate for me feeling for kids, she was anxious about the dog I guess so I made Dakota(our dog) go lay down away from the pen. Faith does seem to have a TINY udder now but she was very uncomfortable with me touching it. She never has like her back end messed with at all, not even when I try to trim her back hooves (it takes 3 people).

I am very worried about her; I wish the vet would return my phone calls.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will try to feel for kids when my husband gets home in an hour or two to help hold her while I feel for anything.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts