The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to drench my weather for the county show for maximum results. I don't want to buy any drenches, but I have heard of the egg diet? I can't find a recipe for it. Any help?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
This is the most famous egg drench that they use on show boers and lambs. You can substitute the drench in place of wetting the grain with water if you feed wet grain, if not feeding wet, just drench them with it. 10oz a feeding, 3 to 4 time a day, or less depending on how conditioned you animal is.
Ingredients
30 eggs,
one 12 oz. can of condensed milk..24 oz. of water (use the milk can to measure)
4 oz. honey
4 oz. mazzola corn oil
4 oz. decaf. chocolate flavored Ovaltine (if you are subject to drug test, be sure it is decaf. because of the caffeine) if you can't find decaf then use vanilla or strawberry flavor they will work fine.
Mix with blender, or mixer, hand ladle into storage containers. This will make about one gallon because of the raw egg, store in refigerator or ice chest with ice at the shows
Start about two weeks before show by giving them 10 oz. 2-3 times daily. (or adjust accordingly)
If you feed wetted grain, then simply pour 10 oz. twice per day over their grain ration.
It will really bring back their top over the rack and loin. Lambs that have a gut, it's recommend to start cutting their grain ration in half about week before show. Then give them 10 oz. of the egg recipe 3-5 times per day (again adjust to the individual animals needs). In most cases they will lose their gut and their tops will handle fresh. Some lambs or goats may scour...if that happens...just back off on the amount of drench fed and give 36 cc of Pepto Bismol (12 cc syringe 3 times) they will dry up real quick. Some may bloat, again back off on the amount fed, dissolve 3-4 Alkaseltzer tablets in warm water, about 2 ounces, drench, they will be down in a matter of minutes. This drench has been used successfully for about 25 years.

Edited so it makes more sense.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
3 to 4 times a day is over kill. I use it twice a day at 8oz first two weeks and 10oz the next two. Dont feed more than a month. And I wouldn't replace water with it either. Thats a good way to creat urinary problems and no one to deal with those.

In all honesty, most wether people go over board. A happy, healthy goat is going to win over a stressed goat.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Not replacing their water entirely, but if you wet their grain down, you'd replace the bit of water you use to do that, with the eggs. And depending on how conditioned your market animal is, adjust accordingly.
That is Gail Christians drench, I just copy/pasted it from her website.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Will you send me that pm too
Its basically the samething here. I just added in how awesome my wethers look on it and that one looks so good that he's actually for sale after NAILE as a show wether for someone

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Yes you can use it on does if they need rack shape. Otherwise there isn't much reason too.

My girls don't get it and I really don't plan on ever giving it to them. But you could if you wanted too.

My girls have had calf manna, show bloom, boss, powerfuel and different oils as additives

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes you can use it on does if they need rack shape. Otherwise there isn't much reason too. My girls don't get it and I really don't plan on ever giving it to them. But you could if you wanted too. My girls have had calf manna, show bloom, boss, powerfuel and different oils as additives
K thank you and cool that helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts