HELP! one more question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Jan 19, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey everyone, I just went to check on the kids and let them out for a few minutes, and my buckling was acting ok, but once outside he was wanting to lay down, and started shivering, I knew instantly something wasn't right with him.

He has a fever of 104.1 no sign of scours, I did see him nursing when I gave mama her noon meal. Once I got his temp I put them back inside.

What can I do to bring the fever down?
    He was born on the 5th of this month, and I am estimating he weighs around 12lbs

On hand I have:
    I have Banamine, SMZ and asprin

Edited to add that his twin is fine, she was up bouncing around and was NOT happy to go back inside, in fact it took 3 times of her escaping before I could get the gate shut fast enough. So whatever is ailing him isn't affecting her..

They have not had BoSe yet either, as we werent' able to get any working on that through a website right now...

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Re: HELP! 2 wk old with fever

I would start him on a round of Pen G... he may have pneumonia setting in. Does he have any other symptoms? Has he had a CD&T shot?

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I do have pen G. he's just very listless. When I went into the stall he was sleeping, so I gave them some love pats like I always do, and finally they decided to get up and of course his twin was bouncing around, trying to jump on me, etc. he came over and was sniffing me, wanted rubbed - poor baby was probably trying to tell me something was wrong :(

He looks sluggish, and again is shivering. I'll put his sweater on him to help with that.

Mama had cd/t when she was 4 weeks from having them, she hasn't had another yet, we were going to do that plus her worming this weekend. I do have cd/t. We weren't going to give the kids theirs until later, as I am trying to think if it's one month or 2 months they are supposed to get them? sorry it's been a long day but I know I have the info written down.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Hey everyone, I just went to check on the kids and let them out for a few minutes, and my buckling was acting ok, but once outside he was wanting to lay down, and started shivering, I knew instantly something wasn't right with him.

Poor Baby...fever is high.... :(

Sounds like he may be starting Pneumonia.... needs to be started on antibiotics....

Good move to put them back inside...

Banamine is real good... to get down the fever...

Glad the twin is doing OK... :wink:

If the kids are strong...no crooked legs.....other than the one with fever..... Bo-se isn't really needed ....

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks Pam, he looks okay body wise, I'll check him overall again when I go out.

How much Banamine would you give a kid this young, and I have pen G in the fridge. I'll get hubby up now as he is better at giving shots

Trying to remember pen g is under skin? I know banamine is in the muscle on the hindquarter <hubby has done banamine before>. I'd look it all up but want to get him treated asap.

Thanks sooooo much for the fast replies!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome.... :wink:

Bananmine is given...(IM)1cc per 100 lbs. body weight. A newborn kid (depending upon breed and weight) should receive 1/10th to 2/10th's of a cc (one-tenth to two-tenth's of a cc). If Banamine is not available, baby aspirin can be used. Treat kids with 1/4 to 1/2 baby aspirin and adults with at least one baby aspirin. A reasonable aspirin dosage would be to compare the weight of the goat to a human being and medicate accordingly. Do not use other pain relievers, such as Advil, Aleve, Tylenol, etc. --- only baby aspirin.

PenG.... I usually do under the skin.... :wink:

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks again Pam I appreciate it! Hubby gave him a shot of Banamine, and wants to wait at least an hour before we give penG. I brought him in so hubby could give it to him since he was sleeping <he's working nights again>. When I took him back out, he nursed, walked around a bit, ate a few pieces of hay, and after about 6-8 minutes he laid down. I put a sweater on him loosely to help with the chill until the fever comes down.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome... :thumb: :wink:

Smart thinking with the sweater....hope now.... for a quick recovery....sounds good the baby is still nursing.... the banamine helps alot with appetite.... :wink: :thumb: :hug: :pray:

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

How much pen G would be good for him? I haven't had to give it to anyone this little before and I am sooooo scared of overdosing or hurting the youngsters. I'm going out here in just a minute to get another temp on him. Poor little guy.
    I am guessing his weight is around 12lbs. I was going to get a scale for the house that we could use to weigh the little ones <have one of my kids hold them> and we completely forgot....sure want to kick myself for forgetting it now!

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

1 cc per 15 lbs of bodyweight.... I'd just give him 1cc if he is 12 lbs.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks will do! Getting ready to go check on him again, and get the penG ready

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    When I went out to check on him again after I posted, he was up bouncing around :) He was jumping up at mama it was funny! Then my oldest daughter came in the stall, got down on her knees and that's all it took. Both kids attacked her. She went down on her hands and knees and they were jumping on her it was sooooooo funny!!!!!
    OMG they were throwing themselves at her quite literately trying to get on her back! I laughed sooooo hard I was crying!!! and so was my daughter!

His temp went down to 102.0 right before he attacked, hehe.

We gave him penG and we'll give it again in the morning when he gets home from work. I'll check on him in a few hours to make sure he's okay. When we went out to give the penG he was bouncing around, and my son got down and was playing with them. I told him we don't need to make any 'jungle gyms' for them to play on....all my kids have to do is get down on their hands and knees and that's all those babies need! LOL

Hopefully a good ending to the day :)

I'm sure I would have been a worried mess if it wasn't for my friends here on the forum! Thanks Again!!!

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I just wanted to update that he seems to be just fine now. I wonder what could have caused that fever? he hasn't had a temp since we gave the banamine, and he's been really active. This morning he was bouncing off the walls, yes...BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS LOL It was hysterical.... Nursing fine, and when I just came in he was nibbling on hay with mama and his twin.

I took the sweater off of him, and hopefully won't need it except for newborns cause well.... he's 2x as big as he was when he was born and it's hard to get the sweater on and off <it's a size 18 mo>. It's not tight though.
    I want to invest in more fleece shirts of different sizes <clearance or goodwill>, so I have a few different sizes for the... just in case times :)

14. So glad he is doing better for you! :leap:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thanks for the update.... :wink:

Fever is caused by... so many different things ....it is so hard ....to tell what the cause is.....but most likely it was pneumonia...... Banamine is a good drug ...and drops the temp really quick...... gives the energy and great appetite....it can last in their system.... for a long period of time....
    Banamine takes down the fever... but doesn't treat the ailment....so an antibiotic should always be used with Banamine..... if a fever is present..... :thumb: :hug:

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    good deal!
    make sure you dont stop w/ penG until you've finished the 5 day course :)