Help or advise with my 12 year old British Saanen

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by stevet, Feb 17, 2009.

1. stevet

stevet New Member

Hi, I am asking anybody out there for help with any advise they can give.

I have a 12 year old British Saanen castrated male goat called Dackus.

A couple of months ago I noticed that his feed bowl was let with some left ( He had a scoop full in the morning and at night ) I was then leaving his bucket in with him until the next feed time which had always been finished off.

A few weeks later during the resent cold weather we had I noticed he was loosing weight so decided to call in my vet. He came out and checked him all over but could not find anything conclusive, so decided to inject him for worms and also gave him a vitimin to try and boost his appitite. This did seam to work for a while. I have been cutting up apples and cabbage for him which again he was eating ok . He now has gone off these.

During the whole time he has been off his food I have been taking him for walks in my garden where he loves to browse on blackberry runners and anything else he can reach. I find this very odd since he will not eat good food like the apples etc i get ready for him.

He will not look at his goat food and I have tried so many types I am running out of ideas.

last week his breathing became odd so I again called the vet he thinks he may have pneumonia so this week he has been on a course of injections. He seams to be recovering OK and is still loving the blackberry runners but still will not eat goat food or anything else. I did notice him grazing a little today .
    I wish he would eat his hay again and his food. Any help or idears anybody has I will be most greatful he is a very much loved pet.

Thanks
    Steve

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hi there Steve, welcome. Sorry that Dackus isn't doing 100%

Did the vet run a fecal? that will rule out worms for sure.

You could get some more B complex to stimulate his appetite again.

I am at a loss otherwise on what to do for him if he is in otherwise good health.

Sometimes their age does get to them though :(

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Steve and welcome.

Being a "big boy", he is lucky to have such a caring and devoted owner, and you are lucky to have had him this long! Some of the bigger dairy breeds sometimes don't live beyond 10 years.

Let him have his brambles, and whatever other goodies you can entice him with...cereals such as Cheerios and Raisen Bran are great goat goodies. Some B-Complex as Stacey mentioned will help bring his appetite back.....something else to consider too, he is an "old" goatie....check his teeth, he may be either missing some or even have a molar overgrown to the point of causing pain when he eats.

Even try cooking him some oatmeal with molasses and raisens....soft and nutritious.

Hope he starts feeling better soon :hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome to The Goat Spot :wave:

Glad to have you here. I am so sorry about your man. Keep us posted.

Is he drinking water?

5. stevet

stevet New Member

Yes, He is drinking ok. Thanks so much for all yoru help. This last few weeks I have spent a few hours in his shelter with him so he does not feel alone as i know they dont like that.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    does he have a buddy? if not, i've known goats to get depressed and stop eating.

7. stevet

stevet New Member

Thanks everybody for your advise and support.
    I took Dackus out on his rope lead today and let him brows for 2 1/2 hours He seamed to love it and I did too :sun: :stars:

I know its early days as yet I will try anything for him.

Hoping to upload a photo of him to my profile with his best friend my 12 year old border coillie Leo.

Off to ohone the vet now to see if he thinks I need more injections .

If you could let me know how to cook the oats and how much to give him I will try that also.

Thanks again .

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just get some plain instant oatmeal from the grocery store. :)

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would try the oatmeal and make up a small amount first 1/2 cup or so. If he likes it give him like 2 or 3 cups of oatmeal.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Steve. :wave: Welcome To TGS. Glad you are here.

So has he ever had another goat with him or just the dog?
    I had a goat that I lost at the age of 15. She was very old and the vets had not seen one that old before so it could be just that fact he is getting up there in age.
    I gave my girl everything she would eat as long as it was safe for her. Have you tried a different grain? What is he getting now? My girl just LOVED her Beet Pulp that was wet and mixed with oatmeal and a little molasses. She ate it all the time, or I should say day and evening, and I still gave her hay free choice at all times.

Good luck. I hope you have more years with him. It sounds like he is in a VERY loving and caring home. :love: :leap:

11. stevet

stevet New Member

Hi, Thank you for the help you are all giving me with my boy Dackus. :)

Over this last couple of days I have been going home for a couple of hours so he gets to eat his favourite blackberry branches and yesterday he even sampled some spring grass that’s starting to show.
    He did not like the Cheerios :? Still will not look at his lovely goat dry mix. I have some Dengie Alfa – A original arriving today along with some Alfalfa nuts for him to try. His breathing as a little poor last week so the vet put him on Antibiotics . I phoned the vet this morning to say his breathing was a little better but I could still tell it was not quite right so he has given me 3 more injections. The vet said its sometimes difficult to tell if he needs more .
    My next-door neighbour had cut his apple trees back so has been throwing over some huge branches for him to strip the bark off. He loves that. :stars:
    Hope this warm weather keeps up, it seams to be helping .
    He used to live with my little girl goat called Thanus but she dies of cancer 5 years ago since then he has been with his mate Leo my border collie.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    maybe he just has spring fever like the rest of us :shrug:

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Welcome! I hope Dackus is feeling better soon..
    Are you located in the UK?

14. stevet

stevet New Member

HI My got friends. Sorry forgot to fill out my Profile as it should have been. Yes I do live in the UK. I live and work in a town called Bedworth , or as the Locals say 'Beduff' :)

Did not get much sleep again last night and spent a hour with my boy in his last night just stroking him , it was a lovley moment.
    Today I bunked off work again and took him for his daily 2 hour walk . More browing than walking. He goes after the blackberry runners and will risk getting a thorn in him if he spots a leaf on one :)

He love stripping the bark of apple trees, so I am letting him do this as much as he likes :clap: I dont eat many apples anyway. I was even helping him by cutting strips of bark off while he stood by me and waited. :ROFL:

Tried him with sugar beet after being soaked for 24 hours.. he just looked at me , as to say. what the hell is this. :) On the other hand he loved the quaker oats ( just half a cup full ) I am taking home tonight so rolled oats and rolled Barley. I hope this warm weather stays longner, its helping so much . I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend, Thank you for all your help this week. Its been so kind of you all x x x x x x

15. stevet

stevet New Member

I just wanted to ask if I should be trying Nutri drench? And if so where can I get it. Because Dackus is coming to the end of his anti biotics for his Pneumonia. I did notice today he had a slightly wet nose.

Thanks

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a probiotic wouldnt hurt (not sure what you have over there so I cant give you name brands) also yogurt works if you dont have probiotics.

Nutri Drench is basically vitamines and calcium. If you cant find that then try children's liquid vitamines

17. stevet

stevet New Member

Hi looks like i can only get Nutri drench from the US off ebay, but it will still take 8-10 days to arrive in the UK. :( I am thinking if anybody has a bottle with the Manufacturers details on and would be kind enough to pass them on I could contact them to check if they have a UK distributer I could use. thanks again

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes you could use nutra drench...you should be able to get it from any feed store....call around to see who may carry it....

give some probiotic paste...it will help his gut....get back on track...after all the antibiotics..

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Does Jeffers ship over to the UK?

I would say for sure to give him Yogurt to get the bacteria in his stomach like it should because the antibiotics will kill them off.

If it is possible mix a little of the beet pulp with his grain (if you give any). It might take a little Molasses for him to eat it also. Not much.

It sounds like you are treating him like a king there. You are doing a great job.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Steve.....I hope that Dackus is still enjoying those walks with you....and I am very glad to hear that he ate the oatmeal!! It's really good for him and if you want to, try adding some raisins to it, it will add even more to the nutrition.

As far as the nutri drench goes, the main part of it is Vitamins A,D and E with a balance of calcium and phosphorus( 1 to 1 ratio on the latter) in a molasses/propylene glycol base. Added vitamins would help with his general appetite...B vitamins especially.

Proiotics would be best at this point due to the antibiotics he has been on, yogurt with live cultures would work just as well...try a strawberry flavorede one..my goats seem to "inhale" it better than other flavors.
    Sorry to hear that you lost his buddy to cancer, I'm sure she knew how much she was loved...and I'm glad that Dckus has a best bud in your pup....odd how different species can attach themselves to one another.

Hopefully Dackus is just off due to the seemingly long winter and he has spring fever....I know I can't wait to see the crocus blooming!