Help! Pace isn't feeling well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PACE, Nov 23, 2007.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Pace is sick! I don't know exactly what is wrong yet, but he has a bad case of the runs (it's a watery, lightish brown color). Yesterday morning he would not touch his grain. I had to go to Rhode Island for Thanksgiving, so gave him baking soda and water and hay. Checked on him last night, and he was the same. Has been picking at hay. Just stands there and is not his usual self at all! He is puffy and his tail is down. He won't walk much, except for a few steps and just is standing there. I have not seen him pee or try to pee, but I'm going out now towatch for that. I gave him 5 cc's of pepto because I wasn't sure how much. Don't have a temp yet.

I have to leave in 45 minutes to go to a funeral (this was not a good time for him to get sick), but I'll be home later for the rest of the day. Nothing has changed for him in the environment. The others are fat and happy as always.

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am not sure what to do either. I wish you luck! Do you have any sulmet?

3. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Nope, but I could try to get some. It's for cocci, right? What are those symptoms usually? I'll contact the vet if this goes on much longer, but he isn't that goat-savvy. He's good, but not an expert...

4. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    okay. I am just guessing but I thought it could be cocci. does he seem dehydrated?? Does he have a temp??

5. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I have not seen him drink, and he is acting listless. I'll go out and take his temp now, be back in a few minutes.

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    yes, sulmet is for cocci. They will have very stinky runny poo. The diarhea can dehydrate them. I had a doe with it and that is all I ever noticed with her.

The symptoms are: off food, diarrhea, blood in diarrhea, rapid weight loss, dehydration, may show straining attempts to pass feces, and fever

7. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have the dosage for sulmet and for Biosol.

8. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    His poo is not stinky or bloody, and it just kind of dribbles out- no straining. Very icky. His temp is 99 degrees- or so says my thermometer! I took his temp twice with it (don't have another) and it came out the same both times. I offered him very warm water and he drank some. I've given him ACV, just in case, though I've seen no attempt to pee. I thought he might be at least trying to pee if he had UC, but I don't have any experience with it. He is just standing there by himself still. He picked a tiny bit at the hay I gave them, then just went off by himself. The pepto seems to be working a little bit. He was walking around more... but is now standing by himself again. How often should I give the pepto? And how much? I've had it recommended to give yougurt with live cultures, but will Fastrack work better?

9. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    What do you mean by puffy? Where is it puffy? Is the hair standing out from the body kind of 'starry'?
    Recheck temp. If still low, get him inside and warmed up. If you can't bring him in, can you plug a heating pad up in the barn? Give 1c warm coffee every 15 minutes. You can also give a cc or 2 of karo syrup.
    Check his gums to see if he's dehydrated. I believe you do it by pushing on them and if the red doesn't come back quick, they need fluids.
    Check eyelids for anemia.
    Has it taken a sudden turn for cold weather there?
    He needs to be moving so pneumonia doesn't set in.
    If you can get a fecal to rule out cocci or other worms, that would be wonderful.

10. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I mean fluffy. His hair is all fluffed out, like he's cold. We have been having funny weather. First it was really cold, then it snowed, then it was 50 degrees and rainy. Now it's cooled down a bit again, and isn't so wet. Do you think he could already have pneumonia? I'll go check for dehydration. Whatever is wrong with him came on really suddenly. He was perky and acting fine Wednsday night. Then Thursday morning he wouldn't eat. I don't know if he could have eaten something bad. The others are fine, and I don't know what he could have gotten into, but it's a thought I suppose.

11. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I was reading my heallth book and it didn't say that diarrhea was a symptom of pnuemonia. I would do as Julie suggested and get a fecal done so you will know for sure if it is Cocci or worms.

12. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Go ahead and check his eyelids to confirm he's not anemic. Main thing right now is to get that temp up.

13. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i would also give him vitamin b fortified a shot sq. it won't hurt him if he dosen't need it. if he is a small breed then i would give him 3cc. also try some warm water with molasess in it to try to warm him up.
    does he have any thing coming out his nose or is he coughing at all?

14. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Pace is doing a bit better- temps up to 101.8. I gave him the coffee and more warm water. I think he had an upset stomach, so I didn't want to give him too many things. I still have not seen him pee or try to pee, but I'm leaning away from UC. I was out there for a while, and none of them went to the bathroom. But he is acting more perky. Still standing alone, but he trotted over to me at the gate with the others, and was bullying Melino, which is a good sign. He even went up on top of the rock. His poo is a little more solid. I did the pepto again, since it seemed to help. I offered him a tiny bit of grain, maybe a tablespoon, with Fastrack to keep his gut going. He picked at it, and lapped up some Fastrack. I'll try to get a fecal to the vet tomorrow, though he is in good condition, and has never had problems with worms before, and this came on so fast. He doesn't look anemic or dehydrated, thankfully. He also ate some hay this evening.
    I chacked his breathing and it's not rattly and no snotty nose or coughing, so I doubt he has pneumonia.

I am trying to think of what he could have gotten into to give him a bad stomach ache, which seems to be what he has. Come to think of it.... it was VERY windy the night before last, and there are cherry trees in the neighbor's yard a good distance away.... I always thought they were far enough, but maybe with the trees shedding their leaves and the high winds I was wrong.

Well, at least writing this has given me more ideas... He's not completely better by any means, but is improving.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I'll give an update in the morning.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you can get some milk of magnesia give him 1 tbsp of that with 1 tbsp of olive oil drenched 3-4 times a day. If I have a goat with diarreha or they got into something they shouldn't have, MOM will move it out of them and it also acts as a buffer to the rumen to prevent acidity from forming from inactivity. Also B shots will help too.
    Darker brown/green tends to be cocci.
    When Caesar was sick and not eating anything, I gave him MOM and olive oil a couple times a day and he was ok within a week. I also gave Caesar B/thiamin shots 2x a day.
    Good luck.

16. BethW

BethW New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Central VA
    Emily, my Tango has been doing the same thing. Started just before we left for T-giving dinner yesterday. A little listless, not very interested in eating, no cudding, watery brown poop. His temp was higher, though...102.8. I went ahead and gave him 7cc of Dimethox, cleaned his rear/legs and went to bed very worried. He was better this morning. Much bouncier, but didn't see him poop. His butt has stayed clean all dat today though. Back to cudding and eating well.

The rest of the leaves finally blew off the trees in the high winds yesterday. Maybe both our guys got into some bad leaves? I have no clue. :shrug:

Hope by the time you read this, Pace is feeling better!

17. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I didn't even think of vit b complex...I am so not all here!! I have been hoping your little guy gets much better.

18. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i give a shot of vit b as soon as one of mine act off at all. it can help with alot of things & can never hurt them.

19. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Thanks again for the hepl. Pace is much better this morning! I am so relieved! He greeted me at the gate with the others and is running around and eating. I only gave him 1/8 cup of grain, so as not to upset his belly again. And he is eating hay like normal and his poop is better. I think the pepto is what really helped, and once he warmed up and his stomach ache was gone he started eating again, which made him feel better. I'm still not sure what he ate, though, that made him sick :(

20. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    glad to hear he is doing better