Help - Paralyzed Young Billy

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Scrubs620, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Scrubs620

Scrubs620 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    South East Indiana
    I think it is polio but I haven't seen a case personally. He is down, cant move his back legs (can some on the front), does not seem to be in pain, has a soft belly, no sign of diarrhea and still seems to have an appetite. Thanks to what I had read on here previously (thanks everyone!!) I suspected polio so I gave him Vitamin B complex (5 cc at 12.5mg/ml) twice yesterday (weighs about 100 lbs) and 1 cc of penicillin (300,000 units/mL). I also gave him a tetanus anti toxin just in case. He is still down this morning (gave more of the same). His temp is 103.0. Now his eyes are fluttering. I am dosing according to the bottles. He will eat sweet feed and I am using a syringe to give him gatorade. Am I giving him enough of each of the medicines? Does the lack of temperature rule out listeriosis and should I continue the penicillin? Also how quickly should he respond to the Vitamin B if thats the cause? Are there any other causes that I might be overlooking? Unfortunately I have to go to sleep (I work night shift) so I wont be able to answer questions right away. I hope I have said everything you need. Any help would be appreciated.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give him 20cc of the B-complex. He needs much more thiamine than you are giving.

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    WHen my buck had polio, he was stiff and rigid; at first I thought he'd injured himself. He's a pygmy and my inital dose of B complex was 8cc's and then 6cc's 2x day for a week. I also dosed him with 1/2 cc banamine. Within an hour of the first treatment, his body lost some of the rigidity and I could tell it was starting to work... good luck with your little guy

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Do as Runaround said...he needs a much higher dose of the B Comp...every4- 6 hours, also, the dancing eyes are a clue to neurologic damage, I hope he pulls through for you.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice...

I am praying for him... :pray: :hug:

6. Scrubs620

Scrubs620 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    South East Indiana
    He's still hanging on. Definately didn't like the needle this time and seemed to be able to kick more. Still eating and drinking. Should I continue the penicillin?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely...once started the course should always be finished, When my 35# doeling was being treated for Listeria/polio she was getting 8cc of B Comp every 4 hours for 24 hours then after I saw improvement she was getting 6cc every 8hrs and 2 cc Pen G every 6 hours and then 2cc twice a day for 7 days. If he's kicking his hind legs more as you stick him it's a sign that he's reacting to the B Comp. Also, get him some probiotic paste and dose him because you want to replenish the good bacteria in the gut.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... I agree... continue the Pen..... I am still pulling for him..... :pray: :hug:

9. Scrubs620

Scrubs620 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    South East Indiana
    So far not much change. Should I be seeing more progress by now? He is still eating and drinking. Also if he makes it through this is there a possibility of permanent damage, will he be worth keeping for breeding stock and does this mean he will be more prone to it in the future?

10. Scrubs620

Scrubs620 New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    South East Indiana
    Re: Help - Paralyzed Young Billy - Update

I know its been a while but thought you might like to know the outcome and I have a few questions. He is doing fine now but he had a long road back to recovery. He was totally down for a week and a half and I had to hand feed and water him. The next week he tried to get up but still could not use his back legs and basically just drug himself everywhere. At least he could sit up enough to eat at that point. Eventually he stood on his own!! He was still very weak for the next few days and would randomly fall down if spooked. He now seems to be back to his normal self. Ill have to admit I almost gave up on him after being down that long. Now I am wondering if he will still be OK for breeding? Also is he more likely to get this again now that he has had it once already? Thanks for all your prayers and help.

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    That's great news! Congrats to you for not giving up. If he is acting back to his old self I would think he would be fine to breed. I don't know about the chances of him getting this again...It is something I have never heard of happening twice to the same goat.
    Anyone had this hit twice?

Gina

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad....he is better....good job... :thumb:

As far on breeding ... it all depends on him....if he is strong enough to do it....

there is always that chance.... it can happen again .... but then again.... it may not.... :hug: