The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 wethers (1 in the process of becoming a wether). I had them out grazing then penned them up while I was gone for 2 hours. I came back to this!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,032 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Billy is 2 years and Odin was born in the spring. It's not Odin though. He peed and ate well while I checked them out.
They are watered from a bucket and little tub.
I'm new to goats so pretty freaked out right now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't tell with a flash light. After reading my goat book I thought it may be UC so I have him and Odin manna pro with AC in it. I have straight AC on its way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is UC what do I do? The only other changes I've noticed since getting him is a bit less of a diet towards grass but not hay and he paces when out grazing. This could just be due to his hatred of his new lead. He doesn't appear to be in pain or any discomfort. Would just giving him AC help? Should I give it to him straight or would
Free manna pro mineral mix be enough?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any crystals around his pizzle?
To show my rookiness. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. From about 4 ft away, since he wouldn't eat me check if I was any closer, I could see in the flashlight that his pizzle looked wet with water droplets. But he hasn't peed while I've been out there. Would crystals look like that in a flashlight?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had this same thing happen to my wether last year.i freaked out and rushed him to the vet only to have them look at me crazy and give me no explanation and a $70 bill. And he only did it for a couple days with no problems since

·
Registered
31,032 Posts
Sounds like UC...I would contact a vet right away...You can treat with AC now and see how he does...but do call your vet, here is a quote on dose and how to...

Mix the following in 20 cc water and orally drench: One (1) teaspoon Ammonium chloride per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for 2 days, then 1/2 tsp AC per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for the next 3 days, then 1/2 tsp once a day for 3 days, then 1/4 tsp daily as a preventative. Dosages are based upon 75 lb liveweights. Ammonium chloride burns the throat, so stomach tube it into the goat.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/urinarycalculi06.html

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I have not been able to get ahold of the only vet in my area that takes care of goats. There are no crystals on either one of my goats pizzles. Both are eating a drinking and there has been no reoccurrence of peeing blood. I'm at a loss here.

·
I'm watching you
22,350 Posts
There are a few plants that can do that. Buttercup being one.
Large amounts of cold water.
Dehydration.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Put your hands under his tummy and "bump" him like you would a doe to check for extra kids. If his bladder is overfilled, he will cry out. Do you have apple cider vinegar? I'd be giving some to him. For my wether I gave it mixed with some stevia to make it less ouchy on the throat (my wether had been rehomed and was returned to us, I wanted to make sure he didn't have stones). Keep watching for pee. I'll be praying. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put your hands under his tummy and "bump" him like you would a doe to check for extra kids. If his bladder is overfilled, he will cry out. Do you have apple cider vinegar? I'd be giving some to him. For my wether I gave it mixed with some stevia to make it less ouchy on the throat (my wether had been rehomed and was returned to us, I wanted to make sure he didn't have stones). Keep watching for pee. I'll be praying. :)
I just tried that and other than being annoyed with me he didn't cry out. He peed while I was out there too and no more blood.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They have both been drinking and eating. I didn't know that buttercups would cause that. I do remember seeing a tiny patch when I put him out b4 this happened. I can't find them now though so he did them.

·
I'm watching you
22,350 Posts
Yes also Cassia, Tansy Ragwort, and Red Maple. They are mildly toxic and can cause discolored urine from the breakdown of cells.
I would go a head with a splash of Apple Cider vinegar in his water for a few days. It will help his digestive system balance out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all so much. I will be giving him the apple cider vinegar and keeping a real close eye on him. Hopefully as soon as the new pen is done this wont happen again.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Don't mean to scare you but I had a 2 year old wether who was my baby! One sunday he went off feed, lethargic, not wanting to do anything which was not like him at all. The next day, same thing and he was urinating orange. I gave him electrolytes and penn. He was stumbling, no energy, would barely eat hay, wouldn't drink on his own at all. By Tuesday afternoon he was urinating blood. We took him to the vet and she basically wanted to do blood tests, put him on fluids, etc. but no guarantee he would make it. He cried in pain the whole way to the vet and could barely stand on his own. So I made the decision to have him be put to sleep. Broke my heart but it was the right thing. Still I have no idea what was happening to him. Just wanted to share my story!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Vet said for ours could be the liver. Of course with all the protein he was on while being showed I'm sure it does something to their systems

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts