The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all quick post (daughter has a bball game)--
WE GOT OUR GOATS!!!!

Thats the good part (after seriously about 45 mins of chasing them to catch them, they are pretty wild- dam raised and not handled)...
SO, we put them in the chicken yard (fenced off the feeders, I dont think even the hens can get to them actually, I fed them out in the yard today)...
The poor goats -- dogs sniffing and whining and my previously laid back 15 week old LGD puppy sprang into action-- he did not want Strangers in his yard! I had to seriously dissuade him!
They ran into a corner filled with berry brambles and hid (and landed on top a cat hiding from the dogs, another shock for them!- luckily cat was friendly)-- its been 2 hours they are still in the bushes what do I do? I put out an arm ful of grass hay and a bucket of water and will chain up the dog (trouble maker one) before I go.... anything else?
I did end up putting collars and a long string on each -- for ease of capture.... OK gotta go...
PS they are 16 wk old nigerian-toggs not completely weaned....

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
I would not leave the long string on. They are going to need time to adjust. Their whole world has been turned upside down. Plus they have been taken away from their moms.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
They will need time to adjust as well as almost constant attention from you and each family member. Sorry, but being "dam raised" is no excuse to not handle kids to be friendly, you need to step in where the breeder didn't to get them to trust you.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Constant attention, get them away from the chickens and especially the dogs as soon as possible and I can't stress this enough: collars and tie outs or strings on goats unfamiliar with them and unattended by you is asking for a serious and sad bit of trouble. BAD IDEA.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with everyone. :) They will just need time, but its a shame the owner didn't teach them to be friendly. They will come around though I got a doeling like that and now she's friendly and happy. :) it just takes a lot of treats and time. I personally would leave at least the collars on though in case there's an emergency and they need to be caught.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
I too agree...poor babies are just scared..you need to win them...severl times a day you need to go in the pen..bring raisens or corn chips ..sit inthe pen with treat inhand but dont force yourself on them...just sit there a bit..then leave...do this again...sing or hum ..reach your hand out with thetreats on them..let them come to you...if they dont..then leave...I would do this at least four times...it canbe you or your kids..just remain calm, and not pushy..it might take a few days before they even sniff your hand for the treat..a few more before they take the treat...once they are coming frieely to see what treat you brought...begin trying to touch them..after a few days of that..when one get close, grab her..hold her gently letting her whisper softly while lovingon her...when you feel her body relax..let her go..repeat as often as you can...only offer 2-3 raisens or corn chips at a time..not to upset thier tummies..Patients will win them...
Be sure they have hay...slowly introduce grain and loose minerals..and of course plenty of fresh water...;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx you guys.. I knew you would come thru-- I have almost a whole week off and will work on gentling them (the yard they are in is directly under my window so they will have constant supervision) am not sure about taking the strings off--our 2 little acres is pretty brushy and one corner isnt even fenced so that would be super dangerous if they got out of the chicken yard and got loose....They are still in the bushes ( its almost 8pm, 56 degrees and dropping probably 30s tonight ( the weather sure changed fall is here) they are in thin bushes along an ag wire fence).... I hope they will be OK (they have a bucket of water but wont come out to drink it, and havent touched the basket of hay either).....I did see the braver one nibbling on a berry leaf....

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would remove the string and collars as well. Wih scared babies, I grab the leg quickly and then very quickly grab them under the jaw... I don't like collars on new goats or really any goat in a brushy area.

Handleand realease a few times a day and they will come around. Talk to them when you feed and all.... it helps!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would remove the string and collars as well. Wih scared babies, I grab the leg quickly and then very quickly grab them under the jaw... I don't like collars on new goats or really any goat in a brushy area.

Handleand realease a few times a day and they will come around. Talk to them when you feed and all.... it helps!
I am waiting for my cattle panels (dont have a truck) to be delivered on Friday so I can more securely pen them at night -- i have a hayed area snug under the porch ramp that I want to have them in at night....

Just checked on them, they are still in the bushes (its a few long strands of berry branches against the ag wire fence)-- will they eventually drink? They have not approached the pail of water a few feet from them....
They havent eaten a bite of the hay either and normally the herd they were in (2 adult does and 3 kids) go nuts for alfalfa cubes and they wouldnt even look at them - in fact they urinate copiously upon approach..
Its gonna be cold tonight and no adults to snuggle with I hope they are OK....

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said. I would also remove the collars and string immediately - really bad idea! Feed them, sit with them, talk to them, read to them, and give them time to adjust to all the changes. They will discover that you are not a predator and they will come around. Turn their natural curiosity to your advantage and let them decide to be your friend. A treat now and then wouldn't hurt, either, but keep them to a minimum.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an XL dog crate thats full of hay its the hens backup nest spot-- should I wait til late (midnight or so) and sneak out and reel them in by their ropes and lock them in the dog crate overnite-- its in the chicken yard too so its not far from them but is under our porch ramp and nice and snug....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just wanted to make sure you realize why everyone is saying to take off the ropes. Goats will naturally pull against them and wrap themselves up in them fighting them until they break something or choke themselves. It is an unhappy accident waiting to happen. Yes goats can be trained to accept and give to a rope, but they must be trained. And, it sounds like your goats are not in a calm enough state of mind to think clearly much less learn a new skill. So yes reel them in tonight and put them somewhere safe, but please take off the ropes. I know you feel like you will never catch them without it. Maybe after you get your new panels you will be able to coax them into a smaller pen and be able to work with them in there.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
On my not so friendly does I put a long rope on them around kidding time so I can catch them if I need to. They have been tangled and have been just fine. BUT I am here every day all day. Since it is a chicken coop and let's face it chi ken wire is crap and if they hit it enough will break it leave the leash on.
For the water don't stress them out more. Animals are smart and will find it. If you want go out there and splash it with your hand till they see it but I wouldn't force them or their trust is going to go farther down the drain. I have some goats no matter what I do with them would rather just stay away from me so they might be that type. I would still as said before just sit with them. They are young and when they calm down will want to check you out. Just talk to them and have treats ready.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I agree with everyone about patience and removing the ropes a.s.a.p.

I have a doe who was very shy when I bought her. She is a total sweetheart now, and has come around to being my favorite goat. It was frustrating at first, but it all worked out well. Also, after she kidded in April, she really broke through the remaining shyness and now just begs for any and all attention she can get.

It will take awhile for your girls to change, but it will be worth it. Don't give up.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
My Goat Poppy was wild!! I couldnt understand how someone could raise a goat from brith to full grown and her be so wild..but I brought her home, along with her sister and young doeling..to help a girl out ...Poppy could not be touched, grabbed, pulled, begged or bribbed!! You couldnt catch her if you were in a 2x2 pen, she would climb the fence to get away! that girl was wild!! Now she is the first to meet me at the gate. one of my favorite does, sweet gentle, trained tothe table, milks like a dream...she still dont like to be led any where lol..but will allow it, none the less...it took time to win her...you have the advantage of these being young kids...looking to you to feed and comfort them..Please do remove the roap..put them in a smaller pen with a shelter...and spend time..no trick,(other than raisens lol) no secret, just time..I bet you win them fast..sounds like you have the heart for it...best wishes...

·
Registered
930 Posts
I got two girls this spring that were nice and tame with the owners, then with me.... trying to leap through the fence whenever I got near. They would not come near me for weeks, I finally got a nice gentle tame doe and they started to get better. BUT I did have to catch them and get collars on them, then I grain them. They learned real fast then, that I meant food and started coming around much faster. So, incase you don't have a nice older calm doe, I would catch them and start giving them grain everyday. Just my opinion, but I tried the slow sitting and waiting approach a long time with no luck, once I got my hands on them and didn't let go until I was ready, they got better fast. I know I will get flack for this, but it is the only thing that worked for these girls.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I got two girls this spring that were nice and tame with the owners, then with me.... trying to leap through the fence whenever I got near. They would not come near me for weeks, I finally got a nice gentle tame doe and they started to get better. BUT I did have to catch them and get collars on them, then I grain them. They learned real fast then, that I meant food and started coming around much faster. So, incase you don't have a nice older calm doe, I would catch them and start giving them grain everyday. Just my opinion, but I tried the slow sitting and waiting approach a long time with no luck, once I got my hands on them and didn't let go until I was ready, they got better fast. I know I will get flack for this, but it is the only thing that worked for these girls.
I feel real bad. I had to switch out the string (they are under supervision, I have my back door open right now and can hear whats going on and they are visible from both my kitchen and living room windows) on one of the goats -- tried unsuccessfully twice (it was like 5am) then went back to bed, puppy was barking at them this AM and so I got up managed to catch her after a good chase and put on the better string (its a rounded mountaineering rope kinda stiff and less likely to catch)-- but now the poor thing is def stressed and shaking like a leaf.... I am not sure they have had water they are still in the bushes....
They wont eat anything from me-- I tried hay (which the herd went nuts for) and even alfalfa cubes....
I feel like I need to leave her alone and minimize the dog stress (we actually moved out of the city in part to give our 3 big dogs room to play in so this is the dogs' place first)....
I have a bag of Purina sweet naturals (goat chow) ready to go.... and some chicken scratch grains (I dont think they have had either, there wasnt even any browse in their pen at the owners-- they went straight to the berry bushes and have been there ever since)...

I will take off the string once we get the cattle panels in on Friday right now puppy can enter the chicken yard via the chicken entryway but once I put the panels up he wont be able to -- and honestly if those goats wanted out (they are too scared as the giant schnauzer and Bernese mt dog are outside the chicken yard-- its big 15 or 20ft by 20ft)-- they could get out right now, hence the strings...
the one was caught up but was standing quietly when I checked on them at 5am....

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
and some chicken scratch grains
I wouldnt offer anything feed or scratch made for chickens..it can make them sick...

Offer Goat grain, loose minerals and water and hay ....

I understand your delema with the string, its good you have several watch points...however if you can not watch them at any time...you might come home to a heart ache...if for example, your little dog gets in and scares them enough to go through the chicken wire...gets tangled up and well...ends badly?? Goats are unpredictable..and scared goats even more so..they leap before they look...I would turn my back for even a few minutes...Im sure once you get their pen up and they relax, they will be fine..
best wishes

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The scratch grains are just grain-- organic mix nothing else (I save it for a treat as its not fortified with anything else and pretty low protein-- too)...
But, I will save it for the hens as I have a huge bag of goat chow ....

One thing, its nice and sunny and the doelings are exploring the Pen! That feels so much better to me! We have a Maple tree (I know that long term I will have to wrap it in ag wire) in the Yard and they love the dried leaves and are eating them!
Oh and the fencing is Ag wire in the chicken yard (welded 4 inch wire) - we learned the hard way why people use Chicken wire (that was hen down to our schnauzer, but our fault entirely) so there is one mini yard in front of the coop that has 1in chicken wire OVER the ag wire (it was our chick pen- once grown- the door is left open and they go out thru it, into the yard and then out of the yard, to roam the acreage)--
I am only making two trips from home today and I will take puppy with me--
actually right now I put the Schnauzer on her tieout and puppy and Berner are up in the kitchen with me-- no interest in the goats-- as I thought , she is the instigator ...(Its one reason when I leave town for work, she comes and stays in the apartment with me, she is Trouble)....

You guys, I really appreciate the warnings on string.
2 more days, and no more string and I am on goat watch, or my DH is the whole time seriously (I got no sleep last night)....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts