The Goat Spot Forum banner

Help petrified doelings!

9K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  CAjerseychick 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all quick post (daughter has a bball game)--
WE GOT OUR GOATS!!!!

Thats the good part (after seriously about 45 mins of chasing them to catch them, they are pretty wild- dam raised and not handled)...
SO, we put them in the chicken yard (fenced off the feeders, I dont think even the hens can get to them actually, I fed them out in the yard today)...
The poor goats -- dogs sniffing and whining and my previously laid back 15 week old LGD puppy sprang into action-- he did not want Strangers in his yard! I had to seriously dissuade him!
They ran into a corner filled with berry brambles and hid (and landed on top a cat hiding from the dogs, another shock for them!- luckily cat was friendly)-- its been 2 hours they are still in the bushes what do I do? I put out an arm ful of grass hay and a bucket of water and will chain up the dog (trouble maker one) before I go.... anything else?
I did end up putting collars and a long string on each -- for ease of capture.... OK gotta go...
PS they are 16 wk old nigerian-toggs not completely weaned....

#27 ·
Thanks for all the support you guys I really appreciate it...
-- I was making dinner and looked out to see that my daughter had (unintentially) cornered the doelings under our porch, but instead of running away they folded themselves up into little balls and were accepting straws of hay from her and eating from her hand! (The one that was so frightened after being chased by me was especially hungry)-- I poured out about a half cup (just a smidge ) of that sweet naturals goat chow-- and WOW they may have never seen it before but they sure loved it..
After me chasing them they are a whole lot more comfortable with my daughter than me, but thats ok, as long as they warm up to somebody!

#28 ·
sounds like it wont take long before they are settle in for you..good job!!

#29 ·
Don't let them pig out on any kind of grain or concentrate feed, even if it's labeled for goats. A little at a time and make sure they have hay or alfalfa cubes with it.
Scratch the chicken scratch off their list please. It will kill them and it's better that they don't even know it exists. You don't want to read about how I know that to be true.
Sounds like you're having some success. Keep at it!

#30 ·
Don't let them pig out on any kind of grain or concentrate feed, even if it's labeled for goats. A little at a time and make sure they have hay or alfalfa cubes with it.
Scratch the chicken scratch off their list please. It will kill them and it's better that they don't even know it exists. You don't want to read about how I know that to be true.
Sounds like you're having some success. Keep at it!
Thanx!
We actually have been undefeeding them (started out at 1/2 cup to maybe now 2cups a day of the goat chow) and they have hay, cubes and browse free fed--
Just put out a bucket of softened alfalfa cubes out for them (Man were they disappointed, but they are nibbling at them-- they of course prefer the sweet chow)....
Quick query should I mix alittle baking soda into the next cup of goat chow just to be sure their tummies are ok? and also I want to switch minerals (I will post a new thread on that I need a quickish answer)....

#31 ·
I would just leave the baking soda out free choice...they will nibble on it if they need it..its always a good idea to do the same with loose minerals...we have a hanging feeder that has two sections..it makes it easy to have both sitting out...I give just enough for daily consumption sonce we live in a humid area.....Mold can cause a whole truck load of trouble..so best to avoid it : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.