The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RussellP
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing in a pure NZ buck, to build next generation. I have narrowed options down to two. Pics 1 and 2, 94% NZ, pics taken at 21 months, great farm with great rep. Pics 3 and 4, 100% NZ, DNA tested, pics taken at 8 months, also great farm with great reputation. My 6 doelings are 10 months and sired by pure Saanen. Pic #5. Any and all opinions appreciated. Price is almost identical.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
How regal they look with those horns ! Love them both , but I think I like the first one :) So hard to chose though , both are so pleasant to look at IMO. Good luck with choosing , lol. But either way , your going to be happy :)

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
It is hard for me to compare them, because they are different ages in the pics and the first one doesn't have a full side view shot to look at, but that said, I am going to say I like the second one, the younger one best. I don't think you could go wrong with either. But the second one just looks like he has thicker legs and I think he may develop to be a stockier, meatier individual. I am a newbie though so take what I say with a big old block of rock salt...

·
RussellP
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, the more mature Kiko is very regal looking, but he is long legged and shows the Saanen genetics in his face also. Since my first generation of retained doelings are sired by a pure Saanen, I think we need a meatier, stockier sire, to father the next generation. Plus it's hard to beat the 100% NZ, DNA confirmed bloodlines.
I think we are going with the younger buck, he is almost the same age as the 6 doelings he will run with. Thanks to everyone for the opinions.

·
RussellP
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we picked up our new Kiko herd sire last night, he is awesome. His sire is Country Smoke from the Magnum and Goatex Goliath line. We did the microchip and sent the DNA off for analysis. His name is Smokeys Quasimodo. We call him Modo. He is a very very aggressive breeder. He had all the mature does on the run last night, it was hilarious. They didn't know what to think.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Glad you picked the younger guy. I like him best :)

·
RussellP
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The big guy is a Saanen, Modo is the first buck he has ever met. The Saanen doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body, the Kiko is 9 months old and a hyper aggressive breeder. The Saanen is a casual breeder at best. Modo attempts with everybody all the time, but they are all pregnant and spurn his advances. The does will back the little guy up and go stand by the mature Saanen, but he hardly seems to care, his rut is completely over and he is cleaning up nicely. I think the two approaches to breeding are typical of the breeds. The Kiko is after it all the time and the Saanen almost seems like it's too much work, of course there are 14 mature does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.