The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You may have 2 things going on test for coccidia. The white spots almost look like plastic and may be the cause of the blood. have a fecal done immediately.
Check temps as the other may have pnuemomia. My drugs of choice woulld be baycox for coccidia and draxxin for pnuemonia. These are what works for us.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got them both a couple months ago and was told they had been treated for coccidia and wormed so I didn't do them I just treated her woth toltrazuril a few mins ago. Are the white things worms? Should I worm her now also?

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
those white spots look like tape worms...Valbazen is needed (or other white wormer) needs to be dosed 3 days in a row..1 cc per 10 #

ALso give him 6-8 cc Pepto to sooth his tummy and dry him up..I would also give C D Antitoxin 3 cc sub q

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
Couphing and snotty nose needs tylan 200 1 cc per 20# 2 times a day for 5 days Sub Q

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some tylan in the fridge but it expired 2 months ago can I still use it or got get new bottle?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I would worm both kids as well as dose each with cocci meds, I've only ever used Pennicillan (Pen G) when needed here and have used it for snotty noses, others may have different experiences.

The white pieces do look like worm segments, tapeworms are the only parasites I know of that break into pieces like that so using a wormer such as Valbazen would be best, however I do know that Praziquantel is also good for tapes. Safeguard and Panacur are also used but have been used so much that they have lost effectiveness.
Keep them hydrated and off grain, only hay until the runs clear up also keep their temps monitered, you don't want sub or fever to occur. Dosing with probiotics a few hours after the antibiotics are given will help the rumen stay active.

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
I can not find any warning about giving expired Tylan 200, Like LA 200, which I read turns toxic when expired.....but being its only a few months and has been in the frig..I wouldn't think it would be a problem..but that is a choice you have to make..I hate to say its fine..and then your babies get sick ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get so nervous and scared when giving shots..... The last kid I gave nuflor to flipped and flopped like a fish from the sting I think. Where do I give it at?

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
Under the skin...(sub Q) I like to give it where the neck meets the body..just lift that loose skin and go for it...remember..he will react...it does sting..but he will live..I promise. just get him moving as soon as you give it..makes it flow faster and feel better sooner...

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
good job!!! :D Hopefully he will begin to feel better soon...I might treat both for tape even though you only see it one ...since they share space and bed up together..they both most likely have tape....: ) Valbazen works for me but you need to give it 3 days in a row 1 cc per 10# orally

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It finally stopped raining so I went ahead and gave the whole herd their first dose of wormer. I noticed some of the others have started coughing also. Is it likely that its going to spread through them all?if so do I need to start them dosing them all with the tylan 200?

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
there is a chance the virus can spread...the reason we don't usually use antibiotics without fever is because over using them can create a resistance to the antibiotic....but there are times when we have to make a judgment call...with your one already sick...I would treat the ones who begin to act ill, cough or have snotty noses just to be on the safe side...always follow antibiotic treatment with probios to restore flora ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts