The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to search the index the best way I know how but it wont let me give me an error.

My Lil 7 month old alpine suddenly isn't doin ANYTHING. She was fine yesterday, but today She isn't her self, not wanting to do anything but lay in the sun. I am worried it might be bloat (1st time goat owner) I remembered there was a bloat thing you could do with water and dawn soap but cant think what it was. I think it might be caused from some moldy/ mildewed hay that someone (I think one of my friends trying to help) dropped into there pen. UGHHHH :mad: pLEASE HELP THANKS!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You are thinking of an enema with the soap. For bloat you give baking soda, and vigorously massage the belly. I had one doe who mildly bloated, and she loved it when I held her and massaged her belly.

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
If she ate moldy hay, then I would be getting C&D Antitoxin or MOM into her along with the baking soda. Get a temp on her too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dont take my word for it until someone confirms it (sorry i think i remember a thread) ... I think a quick way is to drench soap water... But like i said ive never had bloat but i think this was a way to help it or it might have been for something else , sorry

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never tried it (and you seasoned goat owners let me know if this is hogwash) but I heard you can give pop for bloat...? The fizzier the better. Like Coke.

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
From TDG-Farms: A few squirts of dish soap into a 20 oz pop bottle filled with warm water woulda been the fast treatment.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
If she is down I would suspect rumen issue or fever...treating for bloat certainly wont hurt but may stress her out unnessassarly. I use 1/4-1/2 tsp. baking soda in enough water to drench to start with..message tummy...focus on left side

take her temp should be 101.5-103.5...
listen carefully to her left side ..is their noise, rumbling gergling, any gas being passed? is she grinding her teeth??

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If she is bloated her left side will very hard and very big. Bigger than normal. Good advice on giving bakong soda and massaging. Walk some too. If she is down and won't get up it may be more severe.... at this point you will have to run a tube to her stomach to release air. You want a small, hollow and somewhat flexible tube with no rough edges. It can be very dangerous to do this as it can run into their lung and kill them. Watch videos on youtube and eead articles to get an idea how it should look before you do this but let this be the last resort. I have only done it once but I know it works.

I worked on a bloated doe for two hours before we tubed. But you may not have that kind of time. She ended up having an esophageal blockage that was causing the build up of gas.

Now if it is mold than she woild have an aflotoxin build up that is throwing her bacterium out of wack. In this case give c and d antitoxin and probiotics along with mom.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Does she have a high temp? Coughing? Runny nose? Labored breathing? Raspy sounding lungs?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I think it might be caused from some moldy/ mildewed hay that someone (I think one of my friends trying to help) dropped into there pen. UGHHHH :mad: pLEASE HELP THANKS!
What kind of mold? Dry, matted, dusty mold or wet mold? Was the moldy hay wet? Was the mold funny looking, black and slimy, or colored? If so I would be more inclined to think beginnings of polio or listerosis. If that is the case penicillin and thiamin - lots of thiamin - are in order.

http://tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Another reference in your arsenal for the care and raising of goats.

http://tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/articlesMain.html

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much everyone, Sorry, I didn't get back with you till now, things are still urgent for me, and my now 2 goats that at off feed, not drinking and Not bloated. I had and E.R. With my 16mnth granddaughter that I care for and had to take he to E.R. and was there till just a while ago.
Here is the info I have so far.
Temp is 102.4 Barely any stomic sounds on either side, NOT bloated looking. DID get into CHICKENS feed and eat about a 5lb coffe can worth of chicken layer feed. she will walk around but doesn't really want to wants to either lay or stand, don't hear teeth grinding but she does ARCH her back now and then. Depressed wants to lean on me. SO my store closes in 1 hr, take me 20 min to get there. I have NOTHING on hand other then Cherrie flavored MOM, and baking soda. I only have & dollars to my name till the 1st. What can I do

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
Im sorry aboutyour grandbaby..hope all is well !!

Dose the Milk of Magnesia 15 cc per 100#...every 4-6 hours...keep her hydrated...offer hay and green leaves only...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also I checked the hay thoroughly. It looked like good hey till you opened it up and there was powdery mold, it smelled moldy and mildew'y then I flipped it over and there was black mushy stuff and all kinds of other junk, I stopped there, I couldn't go on due to my allergies and etc. So yeah it was bad. I talked to them, they thought they was doing something nice, I told them NO more! So I borrowed some $ from my daughter and the following is what I got: Bounce Back Electrolyte powder, Dura-Pen, Clostridium Chauvoei- Septicum- Novyi-Sordellii- Perfingens Type C&D Bacterin-Toxoid, Fortified Vitamin B Complex injection, 50 ML ape-plex syringe with threaded cannula, 18 guage needles and 12 gauge 1 1/2 needles and 12ml syringe. NOw I also I have the Mom and the baking soda..
SO now, being as I am a beginner please tell me what I do 1st and then what from there. Thanks SO much!

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
Start with the MOM. Amount listed above. Give 6cc B Complex.

Don't use the toxoid, that takes about 2 weeks to go into full effect but you can use it when you vaccinate them.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Give the MOM...It will bind toxins and help move them out of the gut as well as coat and soothe.
Give them the electrolyte water to help keep them hydrated and offer only hay until you see improvement.
Once you see that the MOM is working, dose with probiotics......the MOM won't cause diarrhea but does get the bad stuff out of the gut quickly, it will show as runny poop.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so I give her 15cc MOM and 6 cc B complex. So now I take it I got the wrong things on the C&D, what should I have gotten? That's all they had, I asked for Antitoxin... Ugh.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts