The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know enough from the goat book from the library (prior to starting my herd) to recognize what I see in my doe as bottle jaw. I'm unable to find any answers in my searches, and am afraid this is something serious. What do I need to do?

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
They need Iron. Try treating with red cell. May also want to treat for liverfluke/baber pol worm. I'd wait till someone more experienced comes a long, I have never dealt with bottle jaw before.. But this is what I've gathered from reading on here :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Liver fluke and barpole worm both cause bottle jaw..treating for both is important since the eggs look very smiular and can easily be mistaken as eachother..Ivomec PLUS (1 cc per 40# sub Q) and Valbazen ( 1 cc per 10# oral, not for pregnant does) both treat both worms...
I would do the 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days....

Bottle jaw is edema...which will come down with time. SOme take longer than others...the worms cause tiny holes in the intestines..whenthe goat grazes..the fluid seeps out and settles in the jaw area..while at rest, the fluid or some of it seeps back..this is why in the AM some goats look improved only to swell up again during the day. This fliud is also around the heart and lungs and goats should not be stressed out, such as by chasing to give meds...if your goat is on the wild side, penning him/her up during treatment is best...
For anemia:
Red cell 6 cc per 100 # double day one then sngle dose for a week, then once a week until you see good color return to eye lids..
Vit B 12 shots or B comples PLUS which has enough 12 in it daily to help rebuild red blood cells, which does take time!
High protien feeds, alafalfa and green leaves also help the goat rebuild red blood cells
mix 50/50 ACV With water and drench 20CC daily...
Best wishes : )

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts