The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five year old Mini Nubian May has suddenly stopped eating. This is the goat that has frequent problems with ketosis (I think - the vet diagnosed it the first time and after that whenever she showed the same symptoms I treated it like ketosis and she got better).

I’ve upped her alfalfa and grain this winter to try to help her stay healthier. Her body condition seemed good to me already, and the vet also said her body condition felt good when I took her in, but since she still struggles with ketosis I thought increasing her calorie intake would help her. I also started feeding loose minerals free choice, hoping that might help as well. She seemed to be doing good with all of this until today. This morning she was good, eating normally, active, etc. This evening she was standing off alone and didn’t run into the barn with everyone else when I put out the alfalfa.

I gave her some Probios mixed with honey (her tummy was making a little noise but not a lot) and tried to tempt her with some treats. Usually when she’s in ketosis one of the few things she’ll eat is salted carrots. She didn’t want those. Another favorite is thornless rose branches. Didn’t want those either. She did eat a few Brazil nuts and a tiny bit of corn.

After I gave her the Probios/honey she started shivering a bit. Idk if she was cold or if she was just nervous/upset about being force fed the Probios honey mixture. Just in case, I brought her in the house and put a blanket on her for a bit. After a few minutes she walked to the door and seemed to want to go back out with the herd, so I let her.

I noticed her joints were clicking a lot when she walked. Saw on another post that this could indicate a Borax deficiency, I think it was? I’m wondering if I should add half a teaspoon or so to their water tub.

I did give her something this morning. Maybe that could have made her feel unwell? I’m trying to learn the whole checking eyelids thing and the FAMACHA scoring. Thought their eyelid skin looked a bit pale the other day so I decided to try an herbal/essential oil deworm treatment. Found a recipe on the Weed ‘Em and Reap blog and one on a thread here and sort of did something in between, based on what I had on hand. I also gave them all some Red Cell and a little brewers yeast when I gave them the dewormer. They mostly seemed to like it, which is great, and I’ve read awesome things about the effectiveness of the dewormer, so I was hopeful it would help with their anemia.

Oh, and I gave everyone some garlic. A couple of pieces each.

All my other goats seem okay. Yesterday after the same treatment May was fine. So idk if that dewormer/Red Cell dose could have caused any of what’s going on, but I thought I should go ahead and mention it just in case.

What would you guys check for at this point? I have ketone strips from last time but I don’t think it’s been long enough for anything to show up in her urine yet if it’s ketosis. What other problems could cause her to stop wanting to eat? I’m pretty inexperienced with goat health problems - the only one I’ve really had to deal with so far is ketosis.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
She gets ketosis pregnant or not? Has she been a goat that is not thrifty? Is she a goat that easily is affected by anything new in the diet?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She gets ketosis pregnant or not? Has she been a goat that is not thrifty? Is she a goat that easily is affected by anything new in the diet?
Apparently. No way she's pregnant now unless she bred really early. We sold our buck in the summer and she's usually a fall breeder. And I haven't seen any signs of pregnancy.

Not sure what you mean by not thrifty. I wouldn't say she's super sensitive to diet changes either, because she's on about three acres of forage when there's forage, which is most of the year here, and it varies by season.

I've only ever seen her off her feed in the winter.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agh. Both my thermometers had dead batteries b/c I suck at life. In town now and just bought replacements. Stopped at TSC and got the Vita-Jec B complex fortified injectable solution from the local TSC and some syringes and needles. Never given a goat an injection before. Tips? I gave a horse a shot at least once but that was like fifteen years ago and I honestly don’t remember much about it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took her temperature with a digital thermometer and it read 101.5 F. Not quite 102 but is that close enough to be considered a decent temp? I might try again later and see if I can get it in a tiny bit deeper.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh good. The first website I found said 102-103 was okay. After a little looking I also found one that said 101.5-103.5 but I’d already posted by then.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, she is starting to eat again so that’s good news. We gave her the usual treatment - force feeding high calorie liquidy stuff like molasses, offering favorite foods. Gave her a B vitamin shot too. Decided to give it subcutaneously because I didn’t feel too confident about avoiding nerves. Hard to tell if it helped much because we also did the molasses and that has always gotten her going again in the past. But I felt pretty good about giving it successfully. And she was a good patient and stood pretty still, which made it easy-ish.

She is pooping and peeing. I caught some poop so if I can get my hands on a cold pack and figure out exactly how to send a sample I’ll send it somewhere for testing. Someone gave some directions in another one of my threads but I haven’t managed to find it yet.

Can you freeze the poops until you’re ready to ship them or is the fridge better?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry I missed your question about the B-Complex injection. Yes, subcutaneous was the correct choice. Way to gung-ho ahead!

Fridge is better for poop samples, don't freeze them. Misty Meadow fecal service is the best one in my opinion.
Thanks! I did some Googling and YouTube searching (I have trouble finding things with the search feature in this forum) and figured it out. She did seem to perk up a little faster than usual so I'm glad I did it. Wish TSC sold a smaller bottle though - I don't think I'll be able to use all of mine up before it expires. Lol

Appreciate all the help. This question will make me really look like a noob, but how exactly do you send a sample? I know someone said you need a cold pack, but what kind do people use for shipping stuff? I've never shipped something cold before, and the only cold packs I own are those big hard plastic ones you put in your cooler for lunch or whatever. I feel like I've seen little cheap bag ones somewhere - is that what people use for shipping samples? Do you email them first, or do you include a check and a request in the package?

I will look up Misty Meadow. Appreciate the reference! I'd like to get a few done actually so I can see what kind of worms I might be dealing with at the moment. It's winter but I saw a mosquito the other day. We've had some pretty warm days here recently.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
For just a few samples, I use the USPS small size flat rate priority mail box. For the "cold pack" I just freeze some water inside a good quality ziploc sandwich bag, freeze it in a flat position, not that much water. And then I put that inside another sandwich bag, then the samples in sandwich bags, then ALL of that inside a gallon size ziploc. Then ALL of that inside the box and tuck in the submission form printed out. (or I think Misty Meadow allows online submission form & payment if I recall correctly.)

Each of the fecal analysis laboratories provides packaging suggestions on their websites.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Th
For just a few samples, I use the USPS small size flat rate priority mail box. For the "cold pack" I just freeze some water inside a good quality ziploc sandwich bag, freeze it in a flat position, not that much water. And then I put that inside another sandwich bag, then the samples in sandwich bags, then ALL of that inside a gallon size ziploc. Then ALL of that inside the box and tuck in the submission form printed out. (or I think Misty Meadow allows online submission form & payment if I recall correctly.)

Each of the fecal analysis laboratories provides packaging suggestions on their websites.
Thanks so much!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts