Help please...dog having puppies (4 wk. old Pics pg. 3)

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Laurel_Haven, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    My dog is whelping right now. She went into the first stage of labor last night. I thought for sure that she would produce her first pup around 3pm as she had a dark green discharge. Every thing I read said pups follow immediately after. Well here we are and still no pups. I called the vet and he said it can happen and is normal right before the first pup or it could be that one seperated from the placenta and may or may not survive. He said she should go into delivery stage anytime, that was 5 pm. But if she didn't have the pups by morning, to bring her back in? She was just there last week ago to be ultra sounded and all was okay then. i don't know if waiting until morning is the right thing to do? Should I seek another vet?

I am a nervous wreck here... I need help. Does anyone know if this is normal or is she in trouble. I can not lose this dog. She is my best friend. It is now almost 10pm and no signs of pups. Do I need to take her to another vet? Or am I just being overly cautious. Anyone know if a dark green discharge 7 hours ago means big trouble or does this happen normally? I have got mixed advice from researching and my vet.

She is 5 years old and her first whelping. She is panting, shaking at times, but not pushing.

Anyone with whelping experience out there right now?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Help please...dog having puppies

Tina, I'm sorry I can't be of help but it does sound as though she may have a pup stuck or is not dilating. I would think that the green discharge would mean that a pup passed meconium which of course would mean that it was stressed. Go with your gut and find an emergency vet. I pray that all is fine and a big hug to you too as I know you really need it at this point :hug:

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Thanks Liz.
    I have posted to 4 different forums 2 being dog forums and no one seems to know.
    She is dialated, I checked, and I feel no puppies stuck at least as far as my finger would go.
    I am being told by some that I am just over worrying, but I just don't feel right about this. I am going to start locating another vet now.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I say go with your gut.....I to would be calling for another vets opinion....I would rather be accused of over reacting than take a chance of something happening to my pup.....do you have a 24hr emergency vet clinic nearby?

:pray: Praying everything works out well for your girl and her pups :hug: ........Denise

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

I'd sure want her looked at by someone... I'd be a nervous wreck too! Let us know how things are going as soon as you can

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Tina I would get your dog to a different vet asap. I had a dog the had puppies a couple years ago, had the pups fine, but the next day had dark green discharge...took her into the vet, she had an infection and needed treatment and I think ended up having to give her antibiotics if I remember correctly. Hopefully she and the puppies will be ok, but I would think she would have had them by now if she's been in labor that long.

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Hey just found this off a website...

The dam will have involuntary contractions that may last from 6 to 12 hours. These contractions may cause your dog to appear restless but this is a normal process. Later the contractions will be more forceful, your dog will appear anxious and may even pant and vomit. She may also repeatedly lick her vulva. But nothing worrisome, this is still considered normal.

Maybe she's just taking longer than usual. Hang in there... :hug:

9. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Oct 12, 2009

Only just saw your post so hoping everything has been sorted now & you have healthy mom & bubs. Green discharge before birthing any of the puppies = Vet right now. Fingers crossed all went well for you & your girl & figure you can probably use another of these :hug:

10. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008

What breed? I would be more concerned with some more than others.....

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Great news... all is well! We came home today with 5 new puppies (4 males & 1 female). We didn't have any losses. All puppies survived. The green discharge was not normal but is still unexplainable as every pup was viable. So we are very pleased with the outcome and first time momma is very happy with her new litter.

Thank you to all that helped/cared. :grouphug:

[​IMG]

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW tooo cute!! glad everybody is doing well

13. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Oct 12, 2009

So glad everything went well for you & thanks muchly for the pic - she does look pretty pleased with herself :)

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Oh my goodness!! I am so glad that your precious momma is doing well with her new babies :clap: Congratulations on your little "rainbow".

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Awww....so cute! I love those merles!! Are just just mixed breed or ?? Very cute! And so glad mom and babies are ok!!

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

thats awesome Tina -- :cool:

17. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Thank you so much everyone! :grouphug:

Just some background info on what happened... My husband made a "not so nice" return call back to our regular dog vet, the one that said bring her in in the morning. My husband ask him if you can't see her tonight then refer me to someone who can. At that point our vet said bring her in. So we loaded her up and took her to him at 1 am. He seemed agitated that we got him up and out of bed the whole time we were there since he could find nothing wrong with her or the pups. But hey, that's his job right? Well since we were there he went ahead and induced her. And after hours and hours of delivery we had 5 healthy puppies. All were viable. So why the green discharge? We just don't know? Vet said green discharge come during delivery and after not before. Unless a placenta was detached. None were. And momma is fine. No infection, nothing.
    So we got lucky! We loaded her and the pups up late this afternoon and returned home.
    Okay so nothing was really wrong with her. And the vet seemed a bit agitated like I was over reacting. And I probably was. But like I figure, this is his job. If I would have waited and something had gone horribly wrong then I would have been neglectful and the vet would have probably lectured me that I should have acted on her behalf. So I feel I did the right thing. He got paid and I still have my dog plus 5.

BTW Lexi is Boxer/Miniature Collie mix and daddy is PB Blue Merle Australian Shepard for those inquiring.

Again thanks for being there. I really appreciate it. I have had Lexi since she was a puppy herself. Now being 5 and her first whelping, I just wanted to do right by her. Sorry for the false alarm. All is well and we are adoring these puppies.

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

:clap: :clap: :clap: Wonderful news! :clap: :clap: :clap: Your right....the vet was paid for his time, and you got peace of mind.....sooooo worth it!

19. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina

Pictures of the puppies at day 1
    Can you tell that I am in love... :love:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So go ahead and tell me, who is your pick of the litter from day 1 pictures? :shades:

20. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Re: Help please...dog having puppies (more pics added pg. 2)

Being the pup lover that I am.....I can not pick a favorite, they are all precious! :love: