help please emergency updated

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by faintfarm, Mar 8, 2011.

1. faintfarm

faintfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    i have goat in labor. she has been inlabor for sometime now her water broke at 1am feet been hanging out since then and i can't get the baby out anyone know of anyone that can come help me in south west virginia or virginia

i am drained been up for 48 hours now with work and the goat

please please help baby will not turn the right way

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Re: help please emergency

If you can't get the kid out, you need to call a vet now. It doesn't matter if you don't have a vet who is goat knowledgeable at this point, any vet is better than none. Or else you are going to have a dead mom and dead babies.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I would be calling a livestock vet immediately or taking her to a vet clinic. If the kid has been stuck for that long and "hanging out" then there are some issues ... hope everything works out.

4. faintfarm

faintfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2009

i can't get a vet i have called all in my area :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Is there a pet emergency that you can take her to? If you just "show up" at a vet clinic, they will see you! I used to work at vet clinics for 8 years all over the US and Turkey - when a pet is brought in as an emergency - we see them ;-)

6. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011

Some how, some way you have to get that baby out. If the feet are hanging out, grab and pull downwards (towards momma's feet). Reach in if you must and grab the head to pull along with the legs.

If you do not get the baby out, you will lose them both. If you have to pull one, you will have to go in and get any others.

7. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri

poor girl. Hope someone can help you soon. Is it presented correctly? I know a breeder who said she had to get down and put her feet against the doe's back end and pull so hard with leverage from her feet to get one out once. she said the doe was sore, but she was fine. I really hope someone with more knowledge can help.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

You need to lube up GOOD and try to get a finger in...try to find the head. Most likely it is turned backwards ad that is why you can't get the kid out. Unless the kid is breech and you are seeing back legs? If the kid has been stuck for that long more than likely you've already lost it...so at this point do what you can to save momma. If you have to push the baby back in more to get around it then try that.

I'm sorry you are going through this!

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

I agree w/the others here... I'm understanding that your seeing just feet...no head right??? Are they front feet or back feet? You can tell by which way they bend at the hock/knee joint... this will tell you whether it's the head that's stuck backwards or something else.

Also, I agree w/what someone else said about taking them in to the livestock vet even if they said they can't see you... a vet tech is a vet tech... a vet is a vet... they may not specialize in that animal, but at this point the more education & experienced help...the better off you'll be. And a mispositioned baby is nearly the same in any animal, it's all just basics, so they should atleast be able to help you with the birthing process. And I've NEVER heard of any veterinary facility turning someone away who walked in with an emergency...EVER...

My thoughts and prayers are with you .... :hug:

10. faintfarm

faintfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2009

it is the front legs and the babies head isn't turned right i heard back from a vet and i am take my goat to meet her now i'll let u know how it turns out

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I keep checking this thread hoping for a good outcome. Many THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS are going out to your girl and her kids. I can't even imagine how scary this must be! Please update us when you can and know we are here for you!

13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

Prayers being said :pray:

14. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

prayers from here too

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:hug: I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, I'm praying that you have a good outcome :pray:

16. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Praying for a good outcome :(

17. faintfarm

faintfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2009

well just got back from meeting vet and they baby was alive 2 minutes b4 she got stuck again and then when we got her head out she died and we had to cut babies head off to get her out so sad but i'm ok with it atlease i didn't lose mom. the vet was cheap to $65 for delivery and 3 shots i was ready for more than i $200 vet bill but i really liked the vet and will use her next time i need one

thanks to all those that helped

18. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio

Oh my word :( So sorry to hear you lost the baby but glad mom is doing ok

19. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( We just went through a difficult delivery and it was terrifying.

20. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA

I'm so sorry for the difficult birthing... Hope you all are OK