Help please! Goat just got into motor oil

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mjdonahue, Oct 4, 2014.

  1. mjdonahue

    mjdonahue New Member

    9
    Aug 31, 2014
    My Pygmy wether just walked up to me with motor oil all over his mouth. Someone changed their oil and didn't dispose of it properly. He definitely had a taste as I wiped a bunch out of his mouth with a rag but is there anything else I should do?


    Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum
     
  2. glndg

    glndg Active Member

    Feb 7, 2013
    Hopefully someone will post soon who has experience with something like this. Often, when there is something toxic that a goat has gotten into, people have suggested activated charcoal. You can get it various places -- health food aisle, pet store (fish/filter supplies) and other places as well.

    How is he acting?

    For the amount, from Little-Bits-and-Pieces on another thread: "You can give the charcoal once, depending on how big she is, 1-2 tbs, crush it up add enough water to make a loose paste, then a few hours later give the MOM to flush everything out."
    MOM = Milk of Magnesia
    The charcoal is to absorb toxins.
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Moers kiko boars likes this.

  3. ksalvagno

    ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    I would give him activated charcoal.
     
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. mjdonahue

    mjdonahue New Member

    9
    Aug 31, 2014
    I have no charcoal or anywhere to get it at this time unfortunately. I did give him some milk of magnesia. He seems to be acting normal so far. I think he probably had at most mouthful but I'm just not sure how toxic the stuff would be


    Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum
     
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. glndg

    glndg Active Member

    Feb 7, 2013
    Do you have a vet you can call? A poison control number?

    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/tox.../overview_of_petroleum_product_poisoning.html

    Excerpts:

    Activated charcoal has occasionally been suggested for use in small animals. Although it does not effectively adsorb petroleum distillates, it may be given if necessary to adsorb additives and other contaminants. Gastric lavage is generally contraindicated for petroleum and volatile hydrocarbon ingestions. Care should be taken to avoid inducing vomiting and aspiration. Small animals with acute respiratory distress may require supplemental oxygen and positive-pressure ventilation, used cautiously because of existing physical pulmonary damage. Frequent purging of ventilators is necessary to eliminate volatile hydrocarbons…..

    After ingestion of oil, the feces may not be affected until several days later, when they become dry and formed, in the case of kerosene or lighter hydrocarbon fractions; in contrast, heavier hydrocarbon mixtures (eg, motor oil) tend to be cathartic. Oil may be found in feces and rumen contents as long as 2 wk after ingestion. Regurgitated or vomited oil may be seen on the muzzle and lips.
     
  6. glndg

    glndg Active Member

    Feb 7, 2013
    It would depend on how much he actually has in his system.
     
  7. kccjer

    kccjer New Member

    Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I'm guessing he didn't drink much....it would have been nasty and he wouldn't have wanted to. If he just dipped his mouth you would have found it on his mouth. I wouldn't give any more MOM cause you will cause severe diarrhea and if he didn't get much...you will create another problem.

    If he was mine, I probably wouldn't do anything cept watch him. Be prepared for some nasty looking stool because of the oil and the MOM....
     
  8. glndg

    glndg Active Member

    Feb 7, 2013
    Granted, this web site deals with children, but it does say that these types of products have low systemic toxicity. Children without symptoms may need to be monitored for 6 hours.

    http://adc.bmj.com/content/87/5/403.full

    "Petrochemicals, such as paraffin, kerosene, petrol, diesel, lubricating, and engine oils, are of low systemic toxicity. The main hazard of accidental ingestion is that of chemical pneumonitis caused by aspiration. This can occur in the absence of vomiting or impaired consciousness."

    The oil could be "cathartic," so with the oil and MOM, he may get diarrhea as Carmen mentioned.

    It also sounds like you need to watch for pneumonia.
     
  9. lottsagoats1

    lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

    Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Didn't someone else post about this a month or so ago? If it were my goat, I would do nothing but watch for problems. I'm sure he will be fine, except for some runny poo for a few days.
     
  10. kccjer

    kccjer New Member

    Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    That's what I thought too so I looked for it. The other goat got into diesel fuel
     
  11. mjdonahue

    mjdonahue New Member

    9
    Aug 31, 2014
    I've been watching him since the incident and he's not acting any different than he normal would. I will continue to observe him however. Thanks for the input all


    Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum