The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is very important to get help immediately,
i saw my goat having a buck today, i was worry and she was drugging the head in the sand, i saw the buck moving and i was nerves, but very comely i took per of gloves, and wile she was having the labor and trying to push i help a little by pulling him out..
when he was out i was backed away, the only thing the belly is steel fat! and now after few hours she is not feeding him, (i gave him colostrum)
and she do not have milk in her tins,
there is anyway i interrupted the natural birth and she got stuck with the second one?? please it is emergency she looking weak and im worry..

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
Just because the doe is still wide looking doesn't necessarily mean she's got another one in there. What you can do is put your hand flat against her stomach in front of her udder. Bump up really quick and if you feel something bounce back against your hand...kind of a thump feeling...she probably has another one in there. But she very well could be finished.

If the doe is not feeding the buckling herself, you need to hold her steady and help the buckling nurse. If you can get a helper would be easiest....one person holding the doe and another helping the kid get to the teat.

I am not sure what you mean "milk in her tins"...is her udder not filled at all?

Has she passed the afterbirth? Is the doe still pushing? Is she standing or wanting to lay down? If she's acting like one is stuck, you need to wash up, put gloves on and see if you can stick your hand in and feel for a stuck kid.

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
If she is getting weak offer her some water with a little molasses in it. That should help rehydrate her and help with energy. You could also give her some nutridrench. If you are unsure of her having more kids, the best way to check is to put a glove on and go in and see if you can feel one. You will either feel the squishy placenta or a hard kid, or if she has already passed the afterbirth she may have started to close up and you might not be able to go in very far.

If she has very little milk, you can try giving her 1 cc of oxytocin to help stimulate milk let down. DO NOT give her the oxytocin if you don't know if she has a kid left in her or not. Oxytocin causes contractions and if she has a stuck kid, the oxytocin will only make things worse. If she has no milk at all, no udder or anything it is highly unlikely that she will have any milk come in, but if she has some there, or at least a little bit of an udder the oxytocin should help her bring her milk in and having the kid nurse on her to stimulate her. I would continue to feed the kid with a bottle until you know he is getting enough from mom if her milk ever does come in.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
How is she doing? Is she up and nursing the baby or are you having to bottle feed? If she is still weak you have to get her to drink the molasses water or water electrolytes to give her energy. Has she eaten?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes she eat and drink. i was going to feed the little guy,he cant stand yet.. but i read that it was wrong delivery, the head came first, so my gut feeling of something going wrong was right! so he trying to stand but one leg looking like numb.. i hope they are ok..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since i got hem the food he is getting better! he trying to stand and go for the bottle, she looks a little tired.. hope it is just the night time feelings.. i will upload the video i took from today if its going to help you to tell me if they look fine..

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
I'm borderline blind so couldn't tell for sure but looked like he was upside down??? The top of the head should have been on the upside of her body....chin the bottom of the vagina.....is that how he was born. He looks to be a big boy. My guess is a single. If she has not passed her after birth GO IN. I know not everyone agrees with this but I do it and its the only way to be 100% sure. I feel more confident in bumping them but if I think even maybe I go in. Just follow up with a flush or pen. And she will be OK.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Mom did well...the baby is pretty good size....if she is taking care of the baby,and she is eating and drinking I would suspect she is done..As long as she is acting well..no worries, ...you should get the baby from selenium Vit E gel or Bo Se...it will help strengthen his legs...and give mom a dose as well wont hurt ...

·
Administrator
85,708 Posts
I agree all looks good.

Keep making sure, the baby gets colostrum/milk from momma, every 2 hours, teach the kid to momma's teat.
Tie up mom if you need to, to get her to hold still to feed her baby.

She must be a first time momma?

Is any afterbirth hanging, it has little red ball looking things on it or has she dropped it yet?

Congrats on the cute little buck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i find this morning the afterbirth on the ground, thank god she is eating and drinking, he is steel trying to stand on that foot but the milk is coming out, so i stop with the colostrum, i am trying to guide him to the nipple every time i am there and he is eating.. i will keep you posted all you wonderful people who gave me all this help. thank you allot!!

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Thats good news...if baby is active and has a firm, not necessarly pooched out tummy thenhe is eating...keep going out every 2 hours or so and see that he is eating..I like to sit and watch froma distance to see them eat on their own..if I dont see then go for it..then I coax them to the right spot..
You can get selenium Vit. e gel at tractor supply or most farm supply stores, sounds like he needs it..message the leg and encourage use

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
Is it a front foot he can't stand on? In the video it kind of looked like he only had one front leg out, it is possible the leg that was back got a little pinched in the process and he just needs some massaging to get it to come too. I had a donkey foal one time that couldn't put much weight on one front leg. She was already born when I got out there in the morning so not sure how she came, but after about a week she could stand on it.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I wish I could see the video. At work we have a lot of sights restricted because of viruses and I don't have a computer at home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts