The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there goat community, I am new here on goat spot. I have raised milkers and pack goats for several years, but am having a new problem and thought I would turn to this large pool of experience to get some insight.

One of my milkers kidded 3 weeks ago, I am milking her and bottle feeding her kids. 2 days ago she cut her teat, it’s an inch long and through all the skin layers and it’s leaking milk.

ideally I’d like to dry up the injured side and keep milking her good side.

yesterday all the milk was leaking out of the injured side and her bag never filled up. Today it’s still dripping, but the bag is filling up, I milked it a little bit to relive pressure.

I was thinking to dry her up completely, and tried dropping down to once a day milking yesterday, but she makes 2 gallons day and it just looked so uncomfortable for her. Plus then I would have to buy milk to feed her kids. So I am hoping to dry up the cut side and keep milking the healthy side.

I did go to a vet yesterday and he said that she will be able to heal, and I am keeping the cut clean as best as I can and putting “today” in the would twice a day. And I still don’t know how she cut it, I haven’t found anything sharp on her fence, vet thinks she stepped on her teat...

I’ve never tried drying up one side before, and was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this and could offer some adv

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I don't recommend trying to dry up one side. For one thing it would be difficult to do, but even if you succeeded it would cause the productive side to push into the area occupied by the dry side (especially in the case of such a large producer), and future freshenings would most likely be very uneven. I think you'll be better off if you can treat the wound and figure out a way to milk that side without trauma, such as by draining it twice a day with a sterile teat cannula. I've found that udder wounds tend to heal very quickly. If you can minimize scar tissue you should hopefully be able to milk her normally again in fairly short order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts