HELP PLEASE-something wrong with doe who kidded recently

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by logansmommy7, May 24, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    She kidded a little over two weeks ago with twin bucklings-normal, healthy delivery, we didn't have to pull anyone. She was fine, eating normally, until last week when we had some hay that was on the green side that we fed her. Her poops became clumpy, and I thought she was getting bloated but that went away. Today she is laying around in the stall, not grazing, and would hardly eat this morning. What could be wrong? We wormed her just to be on the safe side this morning (Ivermectin), and gave her probios and Nutridrench....what on earth could be the matter? She is not right...and I don't know what to do to help her. I will get a fecal done if I can see her poop...any ideas? I'm afraid of losing her...she is such a nice doe! Please help if you have any ideas!!! :shrug:

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    milk fever??

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    how do you determine if that is what the problem is? Her udder looks smaller than normal-she doesn't seem to be too happy about the boys nursing on her...

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    is she a high production doe in general?

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    This is her first kidding with us. She is a purebred Nigerian Dwarf doe. She kidded with her previous owner last year. I'm going to calcium drench her just to be safe-do you think that is a good idea?

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Calcium drench is certainly not going to hurt. Just give it slowly. Did you get a temp on her?
    If you have any fortified B I'd give her some.

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Where do you get fortified Vitamin B? Sorry...such a newbie with goat medication stuff...

8. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Feed store. Hope she pulls through for you!

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Or-I should say-where do you get injections of calcium? Does TSC have things like this? I think they close at 7-I need to be on my way to get some if that is the case...

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The calcium comes in drench form.

11. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Ok I have that. How much to give a Nigerian Dwarf Doe-what I'm reading (in the realm of 40 cc) seems to be for standard size goats. Please advise. I don't have a drench gun-after kidding I just used a syringe without a needle. Thanks for the help guys. Is milk fever common or pretty rare?

12. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If it's "Goats Prefer" it is 1 oz=20cc.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    1 ounce = 30 cc. TSC carries calcium gluconate injectable.

14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Crocee. The calcium drench from Jeffers doesnt differentiate between standard & minis.

15. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Great! That's what I have on hand. Now-I just came home (I hadn't drenched her with the Calcium drench yet, only Nutridrench) and she is grazing a bit. Should I hold off on the calcium or would it just be better safe than sorry? She has definitely been "off" for a few days here...

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give her the calcium drench. 30cc's. She is going to hate the taste of it and foam at the mouth. lol But don't worry, that's normal.

17. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Alright then-I'm going to give her 30 cc of calcium drench when I go back out there...hopefully it will be all she needs to get some pep back in her step! Ok-just one more question-should i repeat? If so, how often and for how long?

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Going by the directions on the bottle I have, it can be given in 6-12 hours after the initial dose.
    This is the "Goats Prefer" Calcium drench and it also has added B vitamins

19. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    well...I broke down and called my vet. I know him personally so I apologized profusely and asked for his advice. He advised me to give her pen-g for an infection (which he thinks is going ong)and I didn't have (the pen-g) and the TSC was already closed, so we went to our dairy farmer (who keeps cows on our big pasture) and they gave us some penicillin to give her. We got that in her and also on the advice of the vet gave her more nutridrench mixed with karo syrup...she didn't thoroughly enjoy that but completely freaked at the shot of penicillin. I'm sure it hurt-it was thick stuff! We also gave the babies a bottle with colostrum supplement (which is all I had on hand) as they were acting hungry and she didn't really want any part of them nursing. They took it well and wanted to nurse on her more afterwards. I am really, REALLY hoping this is just going to be supplemental and she will bounce back and they can continue nursing....PRAYERS PLEASE!!!! The vet says if she isn't getting better in 24 hours that we need to call him back...I'm also going to take a fecal if I ever see her poop again....it hasn't been very often today...

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    No advice but :pray: for your girl to get better tonight.