The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Desperate here, I have a ND in labor no kids, I can not get my hand in to pull , I'm sure they are dead. Any help Ideas?? She is not a real tiny Doe, the kids must be tangled,

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
lube up really well and go in i know you said your hands are too big but, the kids i'm sure are bigger than your hands. if she is as you say not a small nigerian.
soak baling twine or other heavy string in an antiseptic. and make slip knots on each one. slip the knot onto one hoof at a time then try to find a corresponding leg to puy another string on. upside down hooves are hind legs. try to get front legs.. if you cant find legs to the same kid, she may need a c-section. call the vet. how long has she been pushing?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm sorry you and your doe is going through this.
If you're unable to get your hand in there to help her, you need to call a vet. Even a dog vet can help with this one. They may not understand what to do for her afterward but they should be able to help you out in delivery.

I'm not experienced enough to give any more advice than that but hopefully my posting will help keep this up at the top and seen by others.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can barely get a finger to touch one, Is there any way to move them forward to the exit?? I know this sounds dumb, but not the first time I have pulled kids, if I could just get a hold of something? What do you think???

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i guess a c-section is in order. call the vet he may have more ideas and maybe help you out over the phone. you dont have anyone with smaller hands?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
you may need to dilate the cervix more to get it open enough to put your hand thru. lube your hand up, go in, and gently massage the circle of the cervix to help it dilate. you should be able to put your hand thru to get to the kids.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
pinching you fingers together to make the entry smaller helps....once in..expand in a circle motion as minibarn said..Go slow..Close your eyes and "see" with your hands..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You All for helping, Please read

This story does not have a good ending. I had my two friends come over, they have lots of ex. with goats Cows ect. We all worked for 2 1/2 hours to get the kids out. They are wedged, I call every Vet. with in 100 miles to get a C section for her. NO ONE called me back. I know this is Saturday and they have lives. I called the ER vets too. Oh sorry they do not work on goats. This is killing me. Please if you have had to deal with this kinda of problem what would you do? Do you think if I pump her up with antibiotics, she will make it to Monday?? Or should I put her down? She is a strong goat, not acting week or sickly even after the ordeal we put her threw. It seems her uterus is clamped down on the kids. We could not get them into the birth cannel.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark but I'm wondering if you could lift her hind end up enough to maybe take some of the pressure off her cervix that you might be able to get in her? I don't know if it would work but maybe it's worth a shot?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
At this point, you may as well try anything. Especially if she doesn't seem to be doing poorly. That just stinks that no vets will call you back.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Sometimes to save mom you have to sacrifice the kids..Im so sorry...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts