The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I had a nanny break down with barber pole worms. I overlooked her and her kid who is about a week old and feel immensely guilty about it.

The kid is very thin and dehydrated. I right away brought it in and began feeding real goats milk and then electrolytes alternatively. She drank from the bottle very well yesterday morning and afternoon. Then in the evening was not interested in sucking. I got a feeding electrolytes down her. She is up and moving around but is weak. Still very dehydrated with sunken eyes. Early this morning she pooped and it was a clump along with some runny diarrhea. Another clump and some runny a few hours later. Now it was just diarrhea.

Is there anything I should give for the diarrhea besides getting electrolytes down here? I contribute the cause of the scours to starving then being fed but with her dehydration I need to get them stopped. She swallows but is still uninterested in eating.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No on-call vet on Memorial day willing to see it :( did say to give 5cc of kao pec every 4-5 hours. I had already given one dose of it first thing this morning. The scours is very light yellowish like milk scours I've seen.

How many ounces of electrolytes should she get and how often? She is a meat goat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave the anti-toxin. She is so dehydrated I dont think she will pull through. But still trying. Giving 1 to 2 oz of electrolytes every couple hours. She will suckle for a second then just swallows. Anything else I can try that may help?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
I gave the anti-toxin. She is so dehydrated I dont think she will pull through. But still trying. Giving 1 to 2 oz of electrolytes every couple hours. She will suckle for a second then just swallows. Anything else I can try that may help?
Pinch of cayenne in her mouth may stimulate some hunger and energy

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Probiotics, such as Probios, would have helped at first. Sounds like Enterotoxemia to me.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
For scours, you may try pig scour halt. Double the dosage for goats. Give 2 x a day, for 3 days orally.
We need to stop the scouring.

Give her a lot of electrolytes and also and make sure she gets some mama's milk for nutrition, so she doesn't starve to death. You don't need to feed too much at a time.

If you know how to tube feed, it will help.

If you new how to give lactate ringers, that would help. Otherwise, get a vet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts