The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old Boer baby is sick. she is standing hunched, seems weak and her tongue is poking out and she has mucus coming out of her mouth. temp is 103 .5 and she is grunting slightly. do you think its pneumonia?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Could she have eaten something?

I would get C&D Antitoxin into her. I would also get a shot of Banamine into her. You could even do some activated charcoal in case it is poisoning. Probios and B Complex wouldn't hurt. Can you listen to her lungs?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is choke..??

I gave probios, I do not have anti toxin on hand. She won't lay down, just stands in the corner. I don't think she could have eaten anything, she's been in the pen all day.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put my ear to her trying to listen, rumen sounds good, lungs sound ok, kind of short breaths but hard to tell for sure.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Have you tried putting a finger in her mouth and down her throat a little to see if anything is stuck in there? Check the roof of her mouth too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not tried to feel for anything in the mouth, what if there is something and I jam it deeper? Why does this stuff always happen st night?!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Do it very carefully and gently. The other thing is to put a small tube down her throat. You have to be careful that it goes down the esophagus and not the windpipe.

Was she able to swallow the Probios?

·
14,615 Posts
To check mouth get a good flashlight. Put a large syringe sleeve (60cc a good size) sideways in her mouth before putting your fingers in there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I syringed some electrolyte water and she swallowed it, and I went into my kitchen just now to check her mouth and she is happily munching on hay. Lol

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Sounds like it was something in her throat that you were able to dislodge with the electrolytes. Must not have been terribly large. I would give her a shot of Banamine in case of swelling.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You think? It never occurred to me that something could be in her throat, my first thought was Pneumonia with all the wet weather and temperature fluctuations. I guess I will keep an eye on her and see if she continues to improve. Thanks so much for the help!

·
I'm watching you
22,261 Posts
A lot of times when the have something in their throat, they won't go drink themselves. That is choke. Left too long they will bloat. Banamine relaxes the throat and calms their fear so that they can deal with it.
Good job getting it cleared out for her.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. She came and jumped into bed with me at 3am which of course startled me :laugh: & she seems brighter this morning, saw her chewing her cud and she drank some water out of her bucket but it seemed to run back out of her mouth. :( So I guess Iwill have to take another look and maybe call the vet.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
hows your doe doing?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She seems to have made a full recovery! :)

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
wonderful : ) They do like to keep us on our toes dont they ;)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely! I think it was Pneumonia. I just didn't like the way she looked, and she is known to stand out in the rain, so I gave her some antibiotics and Bam! Took a couple days but she slowly improved and now she looks good as new..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts