The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year old pygmy doe is acting very strange. First, I brought my other goat back from the fair and was coughing, so we gave her and the pygmy penicillin. A couple days later they had white discharge from their nose, so we had them the medicine orally so it could work better. They acted fine yesterday, but this morning I found out that the didnt eat their grain from last night. When I came outside, the pygmy wouldn't eat anything and looked very tired and depressed. The other one was doi g fine, just a little tired but eating grass, just not grain as much. I'm starting to think that they have pneumonia or some illness. Please help

·
14,615 Posts
Temp?
I really don't think the penicillin caused diahrea.
It is best given by injection. Give these gals probiotics for a few days to counter act; Pen kills off good flora in the gut.
When a goat has the runs it's best if they don't get grain till they clear up.
You can also give a shot of B complex to help with appetite.

Electrolytes water. Happybleats has a home made recipe.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I agree, giving antibiotics orally is actually works worse for goats because of how they digest food. So you really need to give antibiotics orally. It sounds like your goat brought home pneumonia or shipping fever.

Can you have a vet look at them? They may need Nuflor or Draxxin which is vet prescription only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts