The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little herd of 9 wethers busted through the gate this evening and got into a trash can of moldy, wet, and ant infested hay that I was putting out for the trash in the morning. It was in an old vacant chicken coop, they knocked over the can and off came the lid. I caught a couple eating it and now I'm worried they are going to become sick. What should I do?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Give MOM at 15ccs per 60lbs.
Give Fortified B complex 5cc per goat injected
Give lots of good fresh hay/ no grain until you see if they are going to be affected.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Watch for head turned to one side/ staggering or stumbling/ temperature...
If you see one or more of these, immediately start Pen G at 1cc per 20lbs. Thiamin every 6 hours, electrolites.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Mold can cause Goat Polio...it can shut the rumen down...preventive treatment can save a whole lot of problems as Goat hiker suggested...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I have done what was suggested. No one is acting off or sick. Our new problem is the neighbors got a new dog and my boys are terrified ! I just hope the new dog doesn't jump the fence

·
14,615 Posts
So glad your boys are holding their own!
As for the puppy, please have a neighborly chat with the owner. Nip it in the bud now.
We had a beagle wander in our yard. The LGDs tried eating fence to get to him.
My husband took him back to his home. So did our neighbor.
I finally did & told them that my dogs will eat him & please keep him home.
Only saw the dog one more time. If he hadn't been on our neighbor's property he would have been shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts