The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kandu was not quite herslelf yesterday and today very lethargic took her temp is 97.1 and cannot get it higher. Have her on a heating pad, blanket, gave shot of pen, and banamine, also goat drench. Has this ever happened to anyone before Other wise she has been a very happy goat at 11 lb at 8 mnths

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Yep, CD antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia (MOM) I would drench her with warm electrolytes as well, you don't want her dehydrated. Nutri drench is good, but B complex would be a little better. Oh MOM 15cc for 60# Best wishes that she pulls through...

· Super Moderator
36,682 Posts
all good advice...try putting her in a plastic bag, head out and put her in a tub of very very warm water...this might heat her up faster...
C D Antitoxin is a must ..if you do not have it..Milk of Magesia..at her tiny weight I would give 2 cc...

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
Kandu was not quite herslelf yesterday and today very lethargic took her temp is 97.1 and cannot get it higher. Have her on a heating pad, blanket, gave shot of pen, and banamine, also goat drench. Has this ever happened to anyone before Other wise she has been a very happy goat at 11 lb at 8 mnths
If her temp is sub there was no need for antibiotics, but, you have started them so continue. Banamine drops temp, so don't give anymore.
She is 11lb's and 8 months old so yes, with sub temp her rumen is off, I would give her probiotics and Fortified Vit B complex, Give a big dose to her Of fortified vit B complex, like 3cc's it will help boost appetite and put thiamine into her system. Do this for 3 to 4 days or longer, depending on how she snaps back. Cannot overdose with either.

Massage her left side rumen. Can you hear any gut sounds? If not, can you rob cud from another goat and give it to her?

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She has an appetite her bellies are full and lots of cud chewing her rumen seems fine just a bit of light stool more than likely from the grain she ate. Will send a photo in a bit, I think I wll bring in a small dog crate for them to sleep in, put lots of shavings it. My office and studio are being built, I close my eyes and I am in a barn,,,,,,,smells good tho

· Super Moderator
36,682 Posts
Is yur thermometor working proper? 97.1 is quite low usually mean rumen function is low and with her chewing a cud..this does not make sense....

Pam gave sound advice on the B complex .... great to perk up a goat feeling down..

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried three different ones just to be sure,,,,,,,,,,all came out the same, she and her stall mate a preemie from a friend are snuffled up here in my studio, guys need to work around them as my office space is being made larger iy hss been almost eight houses so think i will give her goat drench before i go to bed. Vet said I should probably her as a house goat as the temps drop way below zero most of the winter nights and there is no way to control the temp in the barn with a heat lamp, Soooooooooooooooo need to figure out how I am gong to do this. Anyone ever keep a goat in the house as a house pet?

· Banned
5,939 Posts
Anyone ever keep a goat in the house as a house pet?
I think there are several people who have goats for house pets. I know Axykat does, I think TwistedKat does, kccjer has at least a part time house goat I believe, can't think of anyone else at the moment, though.

PS If I butchered any screen names, I am sorry. :)

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank for starters, this is really appreciated. Last night I put a diaper on her , think she needs suspenders!!! Every time they fell down she would look up as if to say why is this happening to me.........Need to figure out how to keep them up!!! Awwwwwww the trials and tribulations of being a MOM even to four legged critters...........
Again thank you from snowy Vermont

1,147 Posts
Are you SURE she is chewing her cud and not grinding her teeth?
Grinding teeth means pain if I am not mistaken, and can be misinterpreted as chewing cud (from what I heard).
I hope your little one pulls thru!
(((hugs)))

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good morning

She is doing much better......than I am. Needed to give her meds in the iv shunt every two hours for almost a week, got a wonderful nights sleep last night...feeling great this morning. Being one of five and still so very small can so me times cause other problems.............vet says there is nothing wrong n other etc. She does not have much body fat it any at all but has lots of fur so she looks ok. She is definately a house goat. She has gained half a pund in the last ten days. Have her on hay extender and alfalfa cubes. Plus lots of hay.........
Like your quote
What is the weather like there today? It has been very warm for this time of year but in 24 hrs..........freezing.....blue skies wonderful
At the time these were taken both animals are four months old.
Thank you for asking about Kandu
Donna

Attachments

· Banned
5,939 Posts
Well, at least I'm not the only one who can't seem to get a diaper on a goat to work! :laugh: I didn't have any problems keeping it on her, but every time she peed it would run out of both sides and on the floor. :ponder: :help: I finally just gave up and went back to my tried and true method - chasing her around with a bar towel! ;)

Lord, I hope your dog is friendly! Kandu is such a cutie!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.