~ help please ~

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agilitymaster01, Feb 25, 2015.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We have a buckling (2.5 months old) that is having trouble urinating. I am thinking it is UC. We have given Ammonium Chloride what else do we do? He has lots of water, and hay to eat. The kids always have free choice hay, mineral, creep feed, water, and baking soda. All suggestions are welcomed. THANKS IN ADVANCE!:thinking:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Take away the baking soda.

3. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Apple Cider Vinegar? :) I've never dealt with UC, so I don't know if that would help any...:shrug:

4. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I took the baking soda from the kid pen a while ago. I forgot about that. Sorry. I typically have it for the does before they kid. As soon as they kid I take it away and offer it only once away. 9x out of 10 they don't take it.

5. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Do you have ammonium chloride? Here is a quote from Tennessee meat goats: "Vets recommend that ammonium chloride be used to treat Urinary Calculi. Ammonium chloride can be purchased in small quantities (four-pound packages) from Pipestone Vet Supply at 1-800-658-2523. Here are the dosing instructions provided to me by a producer who has been successful in using Ammonium chloride to cure Urinary Calculi. Mix the following in 20 cc water and orally drench: One (1) teaspoon Ammonium chloride per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for 2 days, then 1/2 tsp AC per 75 lbs bodyweight every 12 hours for the next 3 days, then 1/2 tsp once a day for 3 days, then 1/4 tsp daily as a preventative. Dosages are based upon 75 lb liveweights. Ammonium chloride burns the throat, so stomach tube it into the goat."

6. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    If you don't have it, in the meantime I would treat with apple cidar vinegar. If he is completely stopped up you will need to call a vet and possibly have his pizzle removed. If he is straining but still going I would get a bit of ACV in him often. Sorry I don't have the exact amounts for the ACV, you may be able to find them online. I have also heard of people using "Fruit Fresh" from the store.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    They are dosing the AC now : )

if you are not having success with his relief you may need to get him to a vet asap...

best wishes

8. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    We have given ammonium chloride a couple days in a row. I feel bad now because I didn't know to tube it so I just drenched it. :( I will pick up some acv to give him today. He is still going but he strains a little. Seems like it may be getting somewhat better but I could be wrong. Thanks for the help!

9. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sorry I missed you had the ammonium chloride, I would continue that treatment if it seems to be helping. And don't worry I honestly wouldn't stomach tube in this situation, even though it says too ... Tubing a healthy goat who isn't lethargic I feel could be pretty difficult. I could be wrong.

If he gets worse you will need to call the vet. Prayers sent!

10. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Thanks. He can still urinate, but I feel so bad for him. It must be painful. If it isn't better by Wednesday I will be calling the vet. To me it seems like he is doing better. Thanks for all the help!

11. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Our boy is doing TONS better. He is activity jumping around again and is urinating just fine. :)

I do have another question though. It is just something I heard and I want to know if it is true. Is it true that once a goat gets sore mouth it is like chicken pox and they won't get it again?

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They won't get that strain again. Glad your boy is better!