Help - pregnant baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Oct 16, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I need help :cry: I think Isa might be pregnant.

I thought Tristan was castrated, he stopped being bucky and everything, and he got clipped a couple of months back. When he was 3 months old. But, I just got home today after 2 weeks away and he mounted Isa - and even before that I was looking at her hind end and thinking it was too puffy...

She's 5 months old... if she's pregnant, will she be ok? And it's her brother!!! :GAAH:

What do I dooo...

I can go take pictures...

LW

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ok I took pics of ALL the goats butts...

Whisper

[​IMG]

Demi

[​IMG]

Harmony

[​IMG]

Isa (the baby that might be pregnant???)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
  4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Stacey and some others on here are much better at judging whether they believe them to be bred or not.

But I do know that if you think she is bred (or if someone on here looks at the pics and thinks she could be bred), there is a shot you can get from the vet to give her that will make her abort. As long as she is earlier in the pregnancy (which if it just happened she would be), then you wouldn't notice anything (no fetus or anything). I do think that you have to wait so long before giving it to them, but maybe someone else on here knows a little more about it. I have never had to use it, but if your girl IS bred at 5 months and it is by her brother then I would definitely go this route I think. The only other problem would be finding a vet in your area that will sale you the shot :shrug: and for some reason my mind is drawing a blank as to the name of it (too early in the morning and not enough coffee :coffee2:) but I am sure someone else on here will know what I am talking about. And of course, someone else might have a different idea of how would be best to proceed if she is bred :wink:

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Was he castrated? If so you don't have anything to worry about, they will sometimes still act like a buck, mounting the girls, etc.... Does clipped mean the burdizzo? If it was done properly no worries there either.

I have 2 wethers that still do it and they have been wethers for more than a year, but let a girl come in heat and they are all over her, just no kids 5 months later.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    No she doesnt look bred to me. She probably is in heat

If he was castrated when 3 months old that means he is a wether now and Isa would have to have been bred then making her 2 months along now .........does seem likely

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ok phew. Well I guess i'll just watch her - maybe she was in heat.

Tristan's demise is on Saturday... I dont want him around any longer :roll:

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    But he has the sweetest little face...lol... :wink:

9. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    Why in the world would this cause his demise? If he is castrated then there is nothing to worry about. If he's not then you have no business keeping him with girls. I think maybe you should take a little more responsibility for this incident than him just doing what comes natural to him. You shouldn't own a goat who's sexual status you dont know. They are the animals. You are supposed to be the care taker. The name of the shot is Lutalyse and if you decide to give that then be aware that it will bring them into heat so make sure she is safe from bucks during this time.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Out of 50 some goats we've castrated with the burdizzo, maybe 2 didn't take(50 cent pieces :) Anyway, if the castrating doesn't take, you can tell, one half of their scrotum will be MUCH bigger than the other.

11. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I don't think this is the reason for his demise it was always in his future. From what I remember about weevil and where she lives. I believe she has to make some trade offs to get to keep her goats. Shelly

P.S. Hope I didn't step on your toes Weevil. How the flying going?

12. Candy

Candy New Member

1965, that sounded just a bit judgemental and nasty. Please try a little kindness in your responses so that we all can benifit from your point of view instead of getting upset. Hope I didn't offend-- :shades:
    Candy :sun:

13. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    :shocked: wow, wow, wow. I wasn't even the one that posted the topic & I even felt the burn on that response! I had my my own "he's supposed to be a wether" situation not long ago....

My DH was helping trim hooves & I heard a loud "MELISSA!!!" out of him after I brought Ghirardelli to the stand. "This guy is still a buck!!" I knew better (the breeder paperwork & health certificate stated 'wether") but it still sent a small shiver of panic through me. I showed him how Gerry has a midget *empty* sack & tried in my backwoods way to explain the difference between cut & banded... DH was not totally convinced. Then our new buck arrived a few weeks later & I could show him what an "intact" buck really looks like! I even dared him to "feel the difference..." :ROFL: Convinced he was after that demonstration!

Anyway.... I do bow to those of you that are so very knowledgable about goaties, but as a fellow "learning as I go" goat person, I'd appreciate it if the condescending remarks could be left for places like the doctor's office or county courthouses....

As for the demise of this poor guy just doing what comes natural, on our farm, if a critter doesn't have a purpose, it gets sold to someone else or goes in the freezer. Thankfully, I've been able to invent a purpose for each and every critter on the place so far but that won't last forever.

Thanks in advance for your time & consideration

14. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I would like to remind everyone to please "keep it friendly, keep it fun". We are not here to judge, so please keep your responses helpful.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    lesserweevil. No I do not believe she is pregnant either.

Just remember that after they are banded or fixed, they can still breed for a bit.

I have a wether that was banded OH back in March or April and he mounts the girls still. I guess he thinks he is cute. Don't worry, if you know he is banded or fixed you will be safe.

When we first started in goats, the first goat we bought was a wether, OK, a HALF wether. They only banded one testicle and we had to have the other one surgical done. :( Poor boy.

By the way your boy looks so sweet and innocent. It is like 'WHO ME"?

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Weevil, I don't think she's preggy either...of course I know Tristan isn't going to freezer camp because of this....he was destined o be there from the beginning :wink:

As long ashe was wetherede correctly, theres nothing to worry about.....some wethers just "act" more bucky than others.

17. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    (in fear of being tongue lashed...)
    :help:
    a lady that bought a doeling from me just sent me and email and said that she thought the doeling was pg
    clover, doeling, is round and showing a small bag
    i am going to her house tomorrow morn and i will take pics
    but
    the only way she could be bred is from Abner :sigh:
    i've heard of "fence breeding" but never experienced it :oops:
    as of today, 10/16, clover is 7months 12 days
    what do i need to consider? :shrug:
    what should i prepare for? :shrug:
    what should i tell her to prepare for? :shrug:
    Clover grew and matured more quickly than any other doe
    she was almost as big as her mom when she was sold
    abner is not related in any way,shape,form
    :GAAH:
    thanx in advance

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well back a couple years back Mia was bred accidentally at 7 months, she was small and I worried about her. But all went well and she had a healthy little girl - tiny girl!

I would just treat her like any pregnant mom and not over feed nor under feed. Sometimes does get bred young, but it isnt the end of the world thankfully. They may need a little extra TLC after birth or they may be just fine.

I would make sure that you or the owner is available though at the time of kidding just in case.

What helped Mia is that she is wide in the rear hip area. That is the most important part.

19. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
  20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she looks a nice size. Beautiful girl!