The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here... I've been lurking for quite some time - - I love this site and the attitude here. I've only been a goat mama for a couple of years and I need some advice please!

My beloved pregnant mini nubian has scours. I'm going to type out everything I can think of that might help: She is due July 25. She's had clumpy poop on and off for a few days and then today she had full on scours down her back legs. Her scours are deep green, not black and not stinky. Last time I ran a fecal she looked good but I'm not sure it worked because I didn't have my usual equipment and it did not go very well. Her eyelids look like a nice deep pink, and she is happy and jumps like five feet in the air and head butts her buddies. She is eating half orchard grass and half alfalfa, loose mineral which she turns her nose up to, no grain at this point.

Prior owner said she took a long time recovering from triplets, meaning her rumen didn't seem to bounce back and pudge out, and she had clumpy poops on and off. She had that problem a bit with me for a few months, and when it rained she would get clumpy again. She recovered though, no cocci, no wormload. So maybe she's easily stressed, or maybe there is some underlying problem I haven't figured out yet??

It is spring so maybe she is getting a 1, 2 punch with pregnancy and freshly sprung parasites? Or is there any chance this is toxemia/ketosis which I am not familiar with at all. I have some powdered probios which i tried on a little grain (no dice) and I tried in applesauce (no dice). I'm freaking out because she is putting out liquid poop. What to do? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Ok, we have had several of these type cases here this year, I think it's probably the new flush of grass. Her attitude is good, she's not acting sickly. So, let's give her some Pepto and see what happens. I would give her 8ml of Pepto twice/day and see what happens after a couple of days of this. I like to offer mine a bit of "gatoraid" when they've been poopy.You could ad some baking soda to that, if she won't eat it on her own.

I think you are feeding her right for her stage of pregnancy, I cut back on grain a lot around 3.5 months gestation. Assuming she's not into anything "toxic" if she's on pasture.

Welcome to TGS! Let us know how your girl is doing, we like to know "outcomes". Oh, and we "require" pictures, as you know.:p

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
i asgree with Di. we are having a similar problem. so we gave them all a cdt booster, wormed, used baycox. now we are doing the pepto which i swear by but figured i needed to get rid of the the worms and coccidia first.

·
Super Moderator
31,760 Posts
I would give any doe with runny poo..C D Antitoxin..it prevents toxins from building while the rumen function is down
Stop all grain and fresh graze..hay only with a good electrolyte..( recipe to follow)
gove pepto as DI suggested and also probiotics to help kick start her rumen..give this daily...

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or any you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

welcome to goat spot :D

·
Super Moderator
31,760 Posts
also its a good idea to feed hay 30-40 minutes before sending out to graze...it sets up the rumen and sheownt be as hungry and be a piggie. Also it give the sun time to burn off the dew...worm eggs travel up the grass blade with the dew....goat eats it and starts the cycle over again.. A new fecal test would be a good idea...ask for a cocci test as well..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

All I've ever given her is ivermectin when she had eggs, and copper bolus. I know ivermectin doesn't cover all parasites, and I wonder if I'm missing something. She will not poop for me this morning so I keep checking for new glops. I am prepping for a fecal using my good equipment and the runny poop I collected in the middle of the night. I am sending my hubby out for pepto. Also I read that blackberry leaves would help to alleviate the scours so I gave her some this morning but just a bit to test it out..I really don't want to make it worse... and other than that, just her orchard grass and alfalfa.

Thank you for the electrolyte recipe.. I am going to do that now before the fecal. She's eating well this morning and drank a bunch while I've been out there. I sure wish she'd poop!

·
Super Moderator
31,760 Posts
A watched Goat never poops lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I guess all that waiting was a good thing... she must've had to reload her ammo. When she finally pooped she was going back to normal. Just some clumpies this afternoon and evening. I only found three stomach worm eggs in her fecal, so I'm thinking it was probably new grass like you all said.

I'm going to have to keep a really close eye on her because wouldn't you know it...I have a vacation coming up. She's laughing at me from behind her stony stare. I'm crossing my fingers she goes totally back to normal, quick!

·
Super Moderator
31,760 Posts
lol, Good news indeed!!! ...be sure to feed hay 30-40 minutes befroe sending her out to graze and it should help keep her in berries....: ) keep C D antitoxin handy in case she get runny again :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.