HELP! Pregnant Goat. What's going on???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SNKGoats, Mar 23, 2011.

1. SNKGoats

SNKGoats New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I have a 1st time Alpine mother that is due in a little less than 2 weeks. Her milk is about half in.

At about 7pm tonight I noticed that she was standing away from the others by the barn and wagging her tail A LOT. I mean…almost non-stop wagging. I put her away in a separate stall on fresh straw with fresh water, grain and fresh hay. I just went out (it’s around 11pm) to check on her and noticed she’s having extremely running stool. I also found what looks to be very mucousy diarrhea.

She’s a pig of an eater. The only other thing I can think of is, around noon, I separated her and gave her free choice of some grain. She may have eaten too much and it may have upset her stomach??? But this evening she wouldn’t touch the grain at all.

Could it be that she is getting ready to kid?

Any ideas on what is going on?

2. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    At this time the kids are growing like gangbusters, and demanding a lot of her energy, so she probably had a big appetite and over-ate. Then, her tummy got a little upset, so she is not hungry. She will probably be fine tomorrow. :wink:

There is a chance that if she is very well nourished, the kids will be ready to be born a bit early. OR you may have miscalculated the breeding date. :whatgoat:

Nothing to worry about so long as they are standing and walking around. Good that you gave her a separate stall, just in case.

Get some sleep -- she should still be there in the morning. Check the ligaments on either side of her tail -- when they no longer feel like pencils, and get soft, and the hollows on either side get big, she is preparing to give birth. I'd get yourself a little sleep first, though. :sleeping:

Best wishes!

3. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I just wanted to bump this post to the top.
    There have been similar issues with does and runny stools prior to kidding, someone should have a good answer for you.
    Caryn

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Sounds like she just over ate on grain.Give her some baking soda to help ease her belly.

5. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    One of our does last spring was very large with what ended up being triplets. She is the same doe that gets a huge hay belly - more than any other I've seen.

Two days before she delivered we experienced this and put her in the kidding stall. Gave extra baking soda as was noted above and an extra dose of unfiltered apple cider vinegar. She was fine and her poo was more like compressed berries soon after she delivered.

(Someone with more experience may have more advice then that.)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give her probios to help with her digestive upset and with hold grain for a bit. Give only free choice hay. Free choice grain in my opinion isnt only asking for trouble. So I dont recommend it

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Stacey ....

give probiotics and baking soda.... Grain is not good... during scouring or stomach upset..... I would test her for worms and cocci just in case.....