The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a buck whose both parents are registered with AGS and I have his paper filled out from the people I bought him from. Only thing is they do no have a herd name with AGS so no herd name or tattoo to register him with. What do I need to do to get him registered with AGS? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
The breeder needs to get a herd name and tattoo with AGS. The sire and dam of the buckling need to be in the breeder's name and if/once that is done then the breeder can fill out a registration application and sign him over to you and you'd then be able to register him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have the parents transferred in there names and I have his paper filled out by them to be sent in to register him. There not planning in getting a herd name or anything anytime soon. I've emailed the AGS and waitin for them to see what they say

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
The breeder has to have a herd name and tattoo with the registry or the goat cannot be registered. If you want, you could offer to pay for the breeder's herd name and tattoo if they don't want to, otherwise, without it, there's no way to go around that and register the goat.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
They can be registered, it just cost a little more. The registry will send a tattoo sequence for them and register them with no herd name.
I don't think AGS does that...maybe you're thinking of ADGA? I could be wrong, but i've never heard of AGS doing that. ADGA will put "The" in front of the breeder's herd name if it's not assigned with them.

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
AGS also has non-member fees. It won't be a big problem for her...From the AGS rulebook "procedures for registration"...

It is not necessary that a person be a member of this Society in order to have goats registered. The applicant is required to furnish the information, signatures, and appropriate fee necessary for the completion of the registration. Higher fees are charged for non-members.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I know ADGA will register like that I'm currently do that with my other goats so they will be triple registered. I've emailed the AGS and no answer yet on how to proceed. The people told me the other goats they've sold have been registered with no problems but I dunno how the other people would have registered them :( frustrating

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
AGS also has non-member fees. It won't be a big problem for her...From the AGS rulebook "procedures for registration"...

It is not necessary that a person be a member of this Society in order to have goats registered. The applicant is required to furnish the information, signatures, and appropriate fee necessary for the completion of the registration. Higher fees are charged for non-members.
I believe it will be a problem registering the kids if the breeder does not have a herdname or tattoo registered with AGS. What that procedure is talking about is just that you don't have to be a member to register goats. It doesn't say that you can register goats without their breeder having a herd name or herd tattoo. The breeder has to have an approved herd name and tattoo in order for their kids to be registered.

This is from their FAQs page:

Registrations

Do I need a herd name?
Yes, AGS requires that you have a registered herd name & tattoo in order to register kids of your breeding. Tattoo registration is included free with the purchase of a herd name.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts