The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to goats and trying to figure out a good quality feed for my two dairy doelings. I plan on breeding them next month and milking next year. I'd like to go organic and came across a local feed store that carries some organic feed. (The website link to the product is below) I see a "Dairy goat pellet" and am hoping I can get some opinions on it? There is also a soy-free pellet but it has less protein, I could add BOSS to the mix and perhaps a 12% sweet feed as well? I free feed a very high quality leafy alfalfa in one feeder and bermuda grass in another. They also get 1 cup each of Purina Noble goat (non-medicated) morning and night. Mornings only they get 1/2 cup BOSS, 1/2 cup 7% horse sweet feed while they stand on the milk stand. They have SWEETLIX 16:8 Meat Maker and baking soda in front of them 24/7

http://www.modestomilling.com/livestock.html

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
And...There goes that theory...

I see many people claiming that GMO's can not be labeled as organic. ALL Canola is GMO. It is a made up plant that didn't exist before being engineered.

I don't see the benefit of the food myself. It's mostly corn and wheat, things that aren't the best for our goats. In my opinion you'd do better mixing your own whole grains.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GMOs I really want to stay away from.... so Organic doesn't mean non GMO? Jeezzz. I really want to educate myself and stay away from that crap.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I want to try something with the grains they have listed there. Give me a bit of time to do some figuring and some chores. I'll be back in an hour or so...

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I guess it would depend on how they define GMO. Canola has been around for years and years. It was one of Canada's first GMO's. It does reproduce it's self now somewhat. It doesn't have weird genes spliced in but, they did change the genetics of the plant to produce different acids. It is Rape seed but, it's been bred not to be poisonous...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to try something with the grains they have listed there. Give me a bit of time to do some figuring and some chores. I'll be back in an hour or so...
That would be great! Thanks!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Goathiker helped me on another thread mix up my own mix of grain. I was attempting completely organic, but it became too expensive. I chose to go with a mix that did not have typical GMO ingredients (soy, corn, etc). My goats have been doing well on it. I do use alfalfa pellets with it, and I know a lot of alfalfa is GMO. I'll be tackling that part sometime in the future, but I'm happy I cut out two of biggest GMO culprits.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for that link, I will check it out :) I just called the feed store and man.... the whole grains from that mill are expensive!! I am REALLY looking forward to what you come up with Goathiker. I am really, really grateful.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
So, the basis for my grain for my goats is oats and rolled barley. Anything else is extra. Right now they being fed field run oats and alfalfa hay. No one is milking much and they are all in the first 3 months of pregnancy. They look good.
Now everything that I do assumes that the goat is being fed alfalfa in some form and free choice minerals. I also give kelp for trace minerals, until next summer when the Japan reactor pollution hits. If I can't source Atlantic kelp at that time I will need a different Iodine supplement.
For milking girls oats and barley mixed half and half does very well. This mixture is a little low on A&D vitamins. Alfalfa hay makes up for that. Field peas could be added for more calcium, vitamins, and that intangible something that feeding peas brings. I prefer to add a small amount of safflower oil rather than spend a fortune on BOSS. Flax can be given once a week. It should be boiled to jelly before fed.
I was working with a guy in Bulgaria. He's on his third year of feeding oats and barley top-dressed with split peas from the grocery, his goats look wonderful.

Oats and barley mixed half and half contain about 13% protein, 5% fatty oils. Oats are a staple feed that can never be changed. Because of it's genetic make up the scientists can't play with it. Barley is much the same, barley can be crossbred however.

Back again soon. Gotta go get ice cream for movies tonight. If you have particular questions please ask them. I have a hard time figuring out what people want to know.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Those are excellent choices. Here's something to think about as well. Once your sunflowers are about 8 inches tall you could plant a vining pea or bean beside it. The bean will climb up the SF and provide more protein to those stalks when you feed them.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have a couple questions:

How much peas do you add to the grain? Dry or cooked?
Will Sunflower oil take the place of BOSS?

Thanks Jill.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I would use the peas as most people use BOSS a 1/4 to a 1/2 a cup on the grain ration. They are expensive and hard to come by in some places. They are used dry and uncooked.

Yes. your sunflower oil is taking the place of the BOSS. For me Safflower is just easier to come by. Other good choices would be Cocoanut, Grape seed, Olive, and Peanut oils.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Ok thanks :) Maybe next time we go to costco I will see if they have a bag of split peas in bulk size. Dry ok for them?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Where do you all buy the kelp?

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I think it would be. The shelf life of kelp is 3 years just as it is. If it were packaged with a Seal-a-Meal or Doomsday buckets, I'd bet it would last 30 years.
I get kelp in #50 bags at the feed store.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts