The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend got a meat goat at a sale and brought it over to my house for the night. Their plan is to come tomorrow morning...

but I think she's pregnant and possibly going to deliver soon. I haven't bred goats for very long, but it doesn't feel like she has ligs to me. she looks incredibly hollow in the back. maybe her belly is dropping... I thought she was just thin but I can feel little point things on her stomach side (hooves?). does this mean she's pretty far along? she feels pregnant to me...but I've been wrong

my question is how soon could she deliver...I don't have any history, but I do want to stop them from killing her if she's definitely pregnant. i'll keep her a while longer here if I have to. your thoughts are greatly appreciated. you could be helping me save her life. thanks

Attachments

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Great, I'm losing posts again.

She looks more likely sick than pregnant with that stance - and she's definitely underweight. I agree that she's too pretty - and skinny! - for meat. Tell them to buy a Boer and let you keep her :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I also agree she is way to pretty for the freezer. :(
From what others have said maybe you can tell them she looks sick and wouldn't be good eating. She might have a high parasite load too and I personally wouldn't want to eat a infested goat.

·
I'm watching you
22,550 Posts
Looks like she could be a pretty decent yearling Nubian milker with some care. She has nice sized teats. I'd bet that there isn't 20lbs of meat on her right now though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They couldn't make it today., so she's still here. I'm trying to work out a deal with them so I can keep her. In the mean time what can I do to help her fill in?, keeping i n mind that she may be pregnant. I gave her a cup of grain this morning and plenty of hay. Thx

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wanted to note that she's been grinding her teeth too. Not sure why? She's eating and drinking ok. Could she be thin due to a disease.? Someone mentioned she looked sick. With what you think.?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts