HELP re: 1 Year-Old Doeling Kid with Swollen Udder ?!?!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FireIslandKids, Apr 26, 2020.

1. FireIslandKids

FireIslandKids New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Aloha Everyone!

Does anyone have any ideas WHY a 1-Year Old Doeling would have ONE Swollen Teat?? (photo attached):

This is my Neighbor’s Doeling and I absolutely know that this Doeling has Never Kidded or Ever even been on the same property as a Buck; so I Know she is NOT Pregnant...

I have an Alpine Doe with Precocious Udder so I’m fairly familiar with that — but I do Not know if this condition can develop in a Doe that has never been Pregnant?

btw, this Doeling Kid is 1/4 Nubian & 3/4 Nigerian Dairy Dwarf — & NOT related to my Alpine.

Could it possibly be Mastitis OR Congested Udder (OR ???)

Can either of these conditions develop in a Doe that has never been Pregnant?

I’m at a complete loss and would appreciate ANY suggestions or comments!!

MANY THANKS!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She only has one udder. But that half is probably a precocious udder.

3. FireIslandKids

FireIslandKids New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    OMG!! of course ONE Udder!!
    I meant Swollen Teat!!
    I feel like an idiot LoL

I just Edited my Post —
    Thank You for pointing this out!

& Thank You for Your Comment —
    so a Doe CAN develop Precocious Udder even though she’s Never Kidded or even been Pregnant?!

is Precocious Udder fairly common in Goats??

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yes, they can develop a precocious udder, or one half of the udder, before they ever get pregnant. Would there by chance be another goat nursing on her? Is she possibly self nursing?

Is the udder hot? Like an infection? Does it seem to hurt her if it's touched?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did the swelling go down in the neighbor's doe?

7. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    This happened to my virgin doeling. No action was necessary until we felt some bumps in there and she tested positive for mastitis (had a lab do the workup).

My advice based on my experience - if it all feels normal, no hard lumps but just developed, then leave it alone and absolutely do not try to milk anything out. If you do, you have to clean it immediately otherwise it'll turn into mastitis (rookie mistake by the husband).

If you feel hard lumps - Clean it really well, try to milk whatever you can out, and have the fluid tested by a local animal lab (check with your state for options closeby) to see if its positive for mastitis. You can also use an over the counter test from a farm store but I can't speak to it since we didn't go that route. If it comes back positive for staph (mastitis), you can treat with ToMorrow since you aren't milking her .

toth boer goats likes this.