Help red urine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kekkeremms, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Kekkeremms

Kekkeremms New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Lundar Mb
    I know I’ve been doing my research but it’s not the same, she’s a week old, had colostrum & strictly on formula (no water) very tiny Pygmy X triplet. Was eating 3oz 4x a day. Today she’s not as spunky and appetite is decreased and has red in her urine and strong smell ? UTI? Vets not open until Monday and I’m worried . Help can I treat with penicillin? Her poop is fine, and she’s in the house ( no diaper ) so I know nothing traumatic has happened.

Attached Files:

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

So what do you mean by formula? If it's the bagged powder crap just seal it up and kick into a dark corner for now.
    Give him the whole cows from the grocery. He's way too young to deal with unnatural milk.

CBPitts and GoofyGoat like this.

3. Kekkeremms

Kekkeremms New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Lundar Mb

You mean like 3.75% milk ? From the grocery store? Would I gradually change or completely change? Do I add anything else?

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Just plain whole milk from the grocery store. Add in a pinch of baking soda to the first bottle of the day make sure it's heated to 100-101* (warmer than for human)
    Powdered Formulas are really bad for babies..I'd give yours a couple bottles of warm electrolytes that you can get at Tractor supply or feed store then just switch to the whole milk.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Are you feeding cows milk replacer formula? I agree..stop the formula. I agree with Goofy and would not start cows milk right away, but feed a good electrolite for a few bottles then go to cows milk. She needs to empty out what she has. How much does she weigh? you maybe over feeding as well. This can make her feel bad too as toxins build due to undigested milk. A shot of CD antitoxin would be a good idea.
    Weigh her and multiply that weight by 16 to see how much she weighs in oz's then multiply that number by 10% to see how much milk she needs per day. Divide that into 4 feedings. Feel tummy after each bottle..you want it to feel firm, not too poochy and not sunken in.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Kekkeremms

Kekkeremms New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Lundar Mb

No it’s, kid milk replacement that was ridiculously expensive from Peavy mart, and I have been doing the weight formula that’s why I was so confused . But I’ve now switched her to whole milk.

happybleats likes this.
  8. Kekkeremms

Kekkeremms New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Lundar Mb
    623213CD-9A7E-4DA3-BA78-7FD8BF03CBE8.jpeg

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
  10. Kekkeremms

Kekkeremms New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Lundar Mb
    She was pooping fine , since switching her she’s pooped a bit but I’m giving her some time to adjust before rushing an enema . She seems to like the milk way better . But her urine is now dribbles and she’s straining I’ll try to get a picture it’s almost like you can see the red floaters in the urine instead of the urine being strictly red, so we gave her 1 cc penicillin and I’ll call the vet first thing in the morning and see what he says. I’m currently scrambling for a thermometer as I don’t have one apparently.

11. Kekkeremms

Kekkeremms New Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Lundar Mb
    Update she made a full recovery within 12 hours of switching her to whole milk. Poops are runny but she is her complete sassy self, so I am going to give her a couple days to adjust to the new milk before being concerned. Thank you everyone!

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad she is better.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California