The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my doe kidded with twins just yesterday, everything went smooth and they are feeding, but only from one teat. The other udder is extremely engorged, hard and when I tried to milk her, completely plugged. We tried lots of massaging (she seemed to enjoy that!) hot compresses, bag balm, peppermint oil, sanitized udder dilator etc.
The vet is coming out tomorrow but is there anything anyone has tried with success to unplug a throughly stuck teat? I can’t feel any lumps in the actual teat so must be higher up. Picture just because ☺
TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: vet came out today and she has a stable temperature, both bags same temperature. She didn’t think “Mia” was producing milk from that bag at all and it’s just scar tissue from a previous bought of mastitis! So good news she’s not suffering too much, bad news is we won’t be breeding her again which is unfortunate as she’s a lovely polled.

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
If this was scar tissue/damage, wouldn't she have already had a big swollen side? I would think it would have been noticeable before she came into milk.
I would keep working on the udder. I've seen them pretty congested and still heal over time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That had occurred to me as well, the vet seems to think it’s just her glands acting up with the hormones but they aren’t actually functioning properly just swelling. Its also only the very top of the udder that is engorged, her milk bag is noticeably empty at the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No she didn’t. I’ll definitely read your thread and maybe call her back and see if that’s an option though! Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts