Help, rescued baby not able to walk.

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by GuntersGoatFarm, Mar 30, 2018.

1. GuntersGoatFarm

GuntersGoatFarm New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Hello all,
    All knowledge and advice is 20180326_131443.jpg greatly appreciated!
    My family took in a week old pygmy goat that was close to death. The poor baby was cover, and I mean covered in lice, her back legs were rigid and she was unable to bend them, her legs were covered in scabs where she had been attempting to crawl.
    I am fortunate that I was changing careers and had taken a few months off as she needs constant attention. The progress is amazing so far but I worry it's not enough.
    I am happy to say she is completely lice free and had a shot to prevent any persists and a BOSE injection when she was a little around two weeks old. After a few days of massages, picking her up and putting weight on her legs, she can bend her legs.
    She did stand on her on after assisting her up for a few minutes before her BOSE injection, since she's been able to fully bend her legs she hasn't been able to stand.
    She's much more alert, shes been more of a goat as we say, she's bending all her legs in, sleeping with them pulled in and started to sleep learning on one side now. Before she would only have her legs flat straight out when on a flat surface, when in bed we use to keep her body elevated where her back legs would almost hang which helped. She has started kicking her front and back legs now, she has the urge to walk. When I elevated her and walk her in the air almost like a cat over water, she starts to kick and almost gallop kicking to one side and shaking her head playing. She has been bending her legs up a
    and head back scratching her head legs which is so exciting. Shes been elevating her rear more as well.
    Her poop improved and is mostly pellets , every now and then she will get backed up but with massages it clears up same day. Yesterday she drank water from a bowl for the first time and shes showing more interest in alpha.
    Shes been playing and chewing on items, eating well, sleeping fine, alert with ears up, a happy affectionate girl. We have wheel chair for her, when we recieved it she had already out grew it and the size up is more than we can afford so we altered it slightly. I can say it doesn't seem to matter to much, she loves it. I have noticed she has become more restless, she has started bouncing all over the place when she wants to get up. It's not a small bounce I mean shaking flopping and exciting chest hops, leg kicking. I've learned this is now her way of communicating that she wants in her chair. I will push her around and she will kick back legs mainly and not so much the front legs. This is backwards from the beginning where she was using front more. She seems to have one front leg that's weaker than rest but not much. However she is unable to move the chair on her on, wheels aren't the best, and I worry incorrect size affects it but she trys hard.
    I am worried I am not doing enough, I am concerned that she may never walk and cant bare the thought. This girl has fought to live and so happy. I have been putting off my task to give her all my attention. When she pees or poops she kicks to get out of it and then I wipe her legs down with baby wipes, she will hold her potty while in her bed. We get up do therapy when her legs start to tremble we take breaks, she does have what appears to be spasms where her back legs jerk so we massage which helps or pull them in and hold them for her and they stop.
    I do believe shes had a slight fever at times, ahe did have a huge abssecs on her knows that we thought was a deformity until we started keeping her nose moist due to a scab and it drained a thick white puss and now she had a cute perfect nose. The vet said it was ok now. I am concerned that our vet is not as educated in livestock. When we first called they said she wouldn't be able to get the BOSE because of her weakness I knew he didn't understand over the phone so took her in. He checked her spinal cord by pinching something on her but, I didn't watch. Then checked all legs for feeling, he told us to do what we where and doubt really listen when we explained. Luckily we had a photo where she had stood so I showed him and his thoughts changed but he didn't explain he said not to give her vitamin E yet.

Please help!!!!
    I know this is a long post but I wanted to give as many details as possible.

lifesabtchlearn2deal likes this.
  2. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    This is a rough story and my thoughts n prayers go out to that baby girl. I'm afraid I don't have any help to offer but I'm going to follow to see how things turn out

GuntersGoatFarm likes this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    She is so beautiful!

How many weeks has it been since the one dose of selenium?

I would suggest getting Cod Liver Oil capsules at a human pharmacy and squirting 2 in her mouth

4. GuntersGoatFarm

GuntersGoatFarm New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Her first shot was March 8th, she had another one today.

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    She's precious. I hope you can help her get mobile. Looks like you could maybe build a similar wheelchair from an Erector Set if she needs something bigger.

6. chicken-coop

chicken-coop Co-owner COLK Farm

Jan 18, 2014
    Pine Mills, Texas
    I had a young buckling with a similar problem. If you can sew, make the baby a sling with four leg holes and a way to suspend it so it holds her with her feet just touching the floor. We used an old hammock frame but anything like it will work. Keep working her legs with massages and as her legs get stronger lower her sling. When she gets to the point of walking her sling to and fro it is time to lower her to put her full weight on her legs. It may be a long process (our boy took about three weeks) but it should work. Later you can use the sling to weigh your babies (we weigh each newborn one hour after birth, for our records). Will try to upload a photo of our sling. By the way, this will work for older goats also, just a bigger sling is needed. You also need to get her some fresh, our of the doe, milk. She needs the antibodies , calcium and other minerals. Lots of luck with your baby girl. PS: lots of vets know the medical knowledge of goats but nothing of their actual everyday rearing.

7. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    So about how old is she now?

Do you offer her loose minerals? Is she eating hay and grain well?

Would it help and be possible to put some stiff splints on all the legs during therapy time to keep her up?

I'm glad you went ahead with the 2nd selenium injection. I would try the Cod Liver Oil or some extra vitamin E.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice.

Prayers for her.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Member

Feb 17, 2018
  10. chicken-coop

chicken-coop Co-owner COLK Farm

Jan 18, 2014
    Pine Mills, Texas
    baby goat sling.jpg

Here's the sling I made for our buckling. Note the stitching is away from the leg holes, prevents chafing of the babies legs. The loops are what we use for hanging it up with. Made this from some old material I had laying around in the sewing room so any thing will work.

11. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How is your doeling? I was hoping for a post that said the second selenium dose provided a miracle!!

P.S. I forgot to note from your original post - I do not believe she is an African Pygmy goat - she doesn't appear to have the right coloration or proportions. She might be Nigerian Dwarf! How much does she weigh?

catharina likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    She's adorable & looks very happy! Some goats use wheels all their lives & look like they are enjoying life. Maybe look at the Goats of Anarchy Facebook page. They have a website too. They have goats with wheels & other sorts of special needs caprines. They might even have advice for you.

groovyoldlady and SalteyLove like this.
  14. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    How is she doing?

toth boer goats and SalteyLove like this.
  15. M@GuntersGoats

M@GuntersGoats New Member

Saturday
    Hi, everyone. I’ve got a Forest update. She’s had two rounds of BOSE, Replamin Plus, and we’ve started Fortified vitamin b complex. We raise Nigerian dwarf goats and my sister thought she was the same. She’s most likely a Nubian mix. Anyways, she’s doings a lot better. She now supports her own weight in the front and is learning how to use her hind legs. We do the hanging exercises in plus move her “hocks” into position. At this point we believe it was malnutrition/lack of colostrum along with stretched ligaments. Thank you all for the great advice!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM
  16. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Oh, her ears...SO cute!

How wonderful that she is improving. Thank you for taking the time to work with her!

catharina and M@GuntersGoats like this.
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is adorable.
    So glad she is improving.
    I highly commend you for helping her. :)

M@GuntersGoats likes this.
  18. M@GuntersGoats

M@GuntersGoats New Member

Saturday
    We have a new problem. I guesstimate her to be 2 months tomorrow the fourteenth and we’ve tried to get her ready for weaning but she’s refusing to give up the bottle. We’ve only had one prior bottle baby and only bc his mom passed away. Our first one was easy to wean. I’m afraid to let her have the bottle for to long but she’s just now starting to graze and eat grains/Hays.

19. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    We don't wean even our normal, healthy babies until 3-4 months. She should stay on the bottle until she's eating solids well.

20. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I wouldn't even think of weaning this gal before 12 weeks of age, preferably much later. A dam will allow kids to continue occasionally nursing for 6 months or more.

She is a really beautiful gal - and THOSE ears!!! Amazing