Help Ripped udder WARNING Pic added

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Tilly our first freshening Doe has ripped her udder She had a small scrape and I have been putting triple antibiotic on it but this is worse. It looks to be in the same general area.. There is a 4" rip where I can see tissue underneath. I don't know when she ripped it or on what as I just got home from work. Could this be from her udder getting larger and it just split? I do not have an area where I can separate her. I squirted Pen on the gash, Do I need to give her a shot? She is due any day. I need to ward off mastitis and will probably be bottling the babies due to this. Shes running normal temp and peeing, pooping, and eating normally. Still chewing her cud. What do I need to do?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Help Ripped udder

If you can take a picture that would help alot.

Make sure and clean the abrasion a couple times a day with a idone solution (iodine with a little warm water) as the poo and urine sometimes go down the udder and from laying down. Try not to get it on the teats if you can.

What is her temp? I would start her on pen if she shows infection, but depending on how deep it is and washing it a couple times a day, that might be all you need to do (and a triple antibiotic on it after washing it)

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

How deep is it? I haven't really dealt with a cut in an udder yet. Maybe you could try some steri-strips to hold the cut together? You can get them at your pharmacy.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I don't know if you would be able to see it if I took a picture as its dark and shes in the goat house. It looks like all the skin and everything has been peeled back from this area. Its no longer an abrasion but rather a gash. Its right in the middle of the back of her udder. I will see if DH can get the neighbor to help him tomorrow as I have to work 7am to 7pm. I am going to go out and try to take a picture but I don't know how successful I will be.

RunAround the gash looks pretty deep. and wide. I don't think steri strips would work.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Ah, well if it's that deep then I would call the vet and see what they think. Probably stitches are needed. But until you can get that done I would do as Allison said and keep it as clean as possible.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Here are a couple pictures but they are not real good. She wouldn't let me get close enough and they are taken with a flashlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The only vet who will treat goats is 45 minutes away and I don't even know if they have electricity yet. There are still a lot of areas in that town without power.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I can see the blood and all, but I am having a hard time seeing the actual injury..... can you get any close ups of the actual injury?

Could she be scratching her butt on a wall where there is a sharp wood corner or a nail? Her udder is not near tight enough to cause a split.

9. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    I wouldn't want to close the gash up, you could just seal in infection by doing that. I would stick with cleansing it at least twice a day with 1/2 strength iodine, I would start her on Pen if it starts to look any worse or if she shows any signs of not feeling well, or if you feel better about it you could start her on pen just to make sure she doesn't get infected, as long as the others on this site say it's ok to do when preggers...I know more about fixing people than goats... :wink:

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Goats are like people, they are just a bit goofier(new word).

Thats as close as I can get but I will see if I can bring the injury in closer with my picture program.

I will give Pen shots if the experts thik I should. I don't want to medicate her if its not necessary though. Don't need a resistant infection. I sprayed Iodine on it after I took the pictures and she was not happy about it. The meds I have on hand right now are Both Pens, LA 200 and Biomycin, Gentamycin.

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ok I blew up the injury portion of the udder.

[​IMG]

The lighter part on the left of the open area is skin where it was peeled back. The blood at the bottom is also disconnected or at least was.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    There are no nails or sharp wood in the house but the yard is cluttered with downed trees from the ice storm. Chainsaws, hatchets, and the like are in very short supply here. I thought we had gotten the sharp stuff taken care of but obviously not. I will have DH start doing what he can to make sure this doesn't happen again. Right now I just want to make sure she doesn't get sick. I just know this is going to leave a nasty scar on her udder surface that may prevent it from enlarging correctly should she live.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't call this a life ending injury yet. I have seen a lot worse cuts on animals that have healed up with little to no scar.

So don't give up on her yet. I would shave her udder to keep the area cleaner. I know she isn't going to like it but it needs to be done. As BetterBuckskins said flush it out with 1/2 diluted iodine. Keep a very close eye on it, but don't count her out yet. :hug:

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will flush it out again in the morning. IF it starts looking nasty I will start her on Pen shots.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a little Nubian doeling that fileted her leg open much MUCH worse then this. The biggest thing is is to keep it clean.

Go and get some KY jelly in the "female" isle of the grocery store or Walgreens. Put that on the wound before shaving (like a glob!). Is what that does, is not allow irritation of the wound, but also keeps hair from going in the wound. Once shaved wipe of the KY off, clean well, and apply triple antibiotic with NO steriods in it. A bacitracin cream would be the best.

Wash with Idoine dilution mixture at minimum twice daily - DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is only good for the first 24 hours, after that it will attack healthy tissue (not to mention it HURTS!)

Hope she does well - I bet she will!

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the iodine flush...or try blue spray :wink: ..when was her last tetanus shot given?

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have a friend that is really into dogs, two of her dogs got in a fight and had similar looking injuries. Werent able to be stitched or anything. She started putting today which is a mastitis treatment directly in the wounds, it helped a lot. This was after she had the dogs on antibiotics and cleaning the wounds twice daily for several weeks with no improvement.
    You may want to try just putting a little today on the injury after it is cleaned. Has she had her CD/T shots?
    beth

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She had her CD&T booster 2 weeks ago in preparation for kidding, does she need a separate tetanus shot?. Is Blue Kote spray better than Iodine? I won't be able to do any shaving until Wednesday. Luckily I had done a trim job last week or her udder would have been much much hairier. DH will do the Iodine flush this morning as soon as the sun comes up since I have to work.

19. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I agree with the Iodine also, I had a steer get a deep cut on his shoulder from scratching on a nail and by the time i found it the flys were all over it <gross> I put iodine on it that kept flys off and helped with the fast healing

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thats the only good thing about this happening now, there are no flies. Dh put the iodine in a spray bottle to spray her udder. Since it was cold outside he warmed the iodine up. Tilly stood there while he sprayed her udder. He said she actually liked it and made little nickering sounds while he was spraying.